Taking out gas fire, installing log burner - HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a log burner being installed on Thursday - price of gas just getting daft. Was hoping to rip the inset gas fire out today but have come across problem. :eek: There is a chromed valve attached to the inlet gas pipe that comes out of the wall near the fireplace. When I remove the domed screwhead there is a threaded screw beneath. If I turn it clockwise i.e. so the screw recedes, nothing happens to the pilot burner. As I turn it still further there is a release of gas around the grubscrew that I am screwing in. :eek: Do I keep turning and hope the gas shuts off? THANKS! Dave

Sponsored Links
Seeing as you have already had a go , yes carry on screwing it right in it will isolate the gas. but plug off the outlet when the fire supply pipe is disconnected

Sponsored Links
the gas pipe should be completely removed from the area of the new appliance, as you cannot be sure that it won't be affected by heat, it was ok for the gas fire as it was designed to have a gas pipe in close proximity and would be protected, best to get a RGI to remove safely and test as per regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back