Taking out old Fireplace (opening builders opening) and Fitting Wood Burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I'm currently taking out the old fireplace in our 1960s house.
I've fit a new lintel.
I am wanting to open up the fireplace to a little past the red lines, giving 4-6" each side.

Pictures are attached.
IMG_4348.JPG
IMG_4350.JPG
IMG_4351.JPG

Though what I'm unsure of is the second section of bricks inside the fireplace? It is like a second wall.
I've tried sticking my hand up to feel the top but it just seems to continue up.
I've read that it could be infill but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ps: I understand there is a asbestos/cement pipe in two places - care is being taken with this.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Looking at your red marks the next place which would be the logical place to take it back to would be the mortar joint, this would then leave very little supporting the lintel which is in turn supporting the rest of the chimney up. I wouldn't like to offer advice on how best to remove it; but you really should consider if it's going to be stable after the fact.

dont get excited about the asbestos cement pipes, the soot is probly more bad for you, so is simple construction dust.wer a mask an gloves an get on with it without makin clouds of dust.

if the red lines are mfr's dimensions for your burner esp the height then go ahead an knock cut an split to your lines and remove all the brickwork infill at the back - nothins goin to collapse.

the skim corner bead in the pic is wrong, thats for plasterboard not solid plaster. you should use angle bead. you set corneer bead to the brickwork background not on top of the plaster.

read all the recent threds about what your doin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back