Taking out tiles to tie ladder to batons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it relatively easy to take out the first tile on the roof so I can tie ladder to roof baton? A roofer friend said that's the safest thing u can do for a ladder.

Sponsored Links
Depends on tile type and what you intend to do.. maybe your roofer friend could advise further

Depends on tile type and what you intend to do.. maybe your roofer friend could advise further
Basically he said with concrete tiles you push the second from bottom one up and then the bottom one can be removed. With rosemary or whatever the smaller ones are called you take out four tiles. Would like to practice doing it so I know I can put the back properly. Tieing a ladder could save your life!

Yes it's easy, only push two or three tiles up on the second row, to get one or two tiles off the first row. And drop some 4x2 in the gutter to stop the ladder bending it.

I prefer bungees instead of rope.

Sponsored Links
as a rule yes, but not all tiles will push up, if the tile nib lines up with a rafter then the nib will contact the rafter and damage the underlay as you push up.
And then you will get a properly tiled roof that are nailed and clipped.. so don't bank on it

Yes it's easy, only push two or three tiles up on the second row, to get one or two tiles off the first row. And drop some 4x2 in the gutter to stop the ladder bending it.

I prefer bungees instead of rope.
Is it easy to put them back?

I pushed the second row up (as in pix) but lower one's wouldn't budge. Also when I tried to pull the two from second row back down they didn't come all the way down, overlapped but an inch short of other tiles Is that a problem?
DSC_0231.JPG

Last edited:
Is it easy to put them back?

I pushed the second row up (as in pix) but lower one's wouldn't budge. Also when I tried to pull the two from second row back down they didn't come all the way down, overlapped but an inch short of other tiles Is that a problem? View attachment 148860
Put a crowbar or something under the row above and the tile to the side and lever that up, which lifts the tile above up and frees the tile to be slid down.

foto_no_exif (3).jpg

Put a crowbar or something under the row above and the tile to the side and lever that up, which lifts the tile above up and frees the tile to be slid down.

View attachment 148862

Thxs. You're referring to getting the tile down, aren't you ? If left in current state it shouldn't cause any serious problems should it, I won't be able to get to those tiles for a few weeks.

As far as getting bottom tile up near gutters, do I just force it up? Pull it hard. Or was your diagram referring to that?
I knowz nothing about tiles

Basically he said with concrete tiles you push the second from bottom one up and then the bottom one can be removed. With rosemary or whatever the smaller ones are called you take out four tiles. Would like to practice doing it so I know I can put the back properly. Tieing a ladder could save your life!
Probably safer tying your ladder to the rafter rather than the tile or slate batten , i tied a ladder to the 2"X1" slate batten at the eaves of a roof I was working on ,as I was stepping off the ladder onto the roof with a head of slates a gust of wind blew me off balance causing the ladder to slide sideways ,with the combined weight of myself and the slates the batten to which the ladder was tied to just snapped next thing I knew I was on the ground, luckily it was only a small single story extension and I only suffered a fractured ankle.

View attachment 148862
I used a builders Trowel to wedge up concrete tiles and then take out the broken tile below , when you fit the new tile you use the trowel to pull down the tiles above the new tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back