Taking the rise, tread carefully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an opportunity to get a nice staircase, cheap.

Floor to floor, it is 2675mm.

My application is 2610mm. (it is a new staircase opening, so that I can flex)

(1) Can I safely just adjust the rise on the first step from 206mm to 140cm? Would that meet building regs?

(2) What if I increase the depth of the first step, as well as adjusting the rise, to fit the building regs formula, would that be (a) safe and (b) meet building regs.

Hope you can help

Sponsored Links
all treads and risers must be identical part"k" building regs
Agreed, although if you have a landing you can vary the geometry.

My logic is that if I build a platform that meets the criteria for being considered a landing (say a raised "floor" 1mx1m) that is 150mm above floor level, adjust the height of stairs, then the rest of the run is compliant, and, as you are allowed to vary geometry after a landing, overall it is compliant (and I assume safe).

Another variant would be to build the stairs without adjustment, so they finish c.150mm above first floor height, so you build a platform/area of raised flooring that is 150mm (x1000mmx1000mm) high on the first floor, creating a step down to the room.

Staircase is very nice at £250 new..... retail £4k

Just bulld a square platform at the bottom, if possible making a person descending the stairs go through a 90° turn, eg by fixing a balustrade across it. That way, a person is slowed down and can be 'prepared' for a slight difference in rise.

Suggest not putting a platform at the top as that might be dangerous.

The Approved Document gives all manner of figures but they are only guidance. The law is simply that stairs shall be safe.

Sponsored Links
Just bulld a square platform at the bottom, if possible making a person descending the stairs go through a 90° turn, eg by fixing a balustrade across it. That way, a person is slowed down and can be 'prepared' for a slight difference in rise.

Suggest not putting a platform at the top as that might be dangerous.

The Approved Document gives all manner of figures but they are only guidance. The law is simply that stairs shall be safe.
Food for thought. I think I can make the 90 degree turn work.

it two and a half inches too tall its full height so must going ffl to ffl so no platrform or landing as its already too tall :eek:
unless your suggesting a 2.5" high pointless square area to use up a misfit :D

it two and a half inches too tall its full height so must going ffl to ffl so no platrform or landing as its already too tall :eek:
unless your suggesting a 2.5" high pointless square area to use up a misfit :D
I can trim the bottom newel post and stringers by 65mm to get the structure to the right height. The platform / landing is just an enlargement of the bottom step to say 900mm from 300mm.

There's plenty of space and the platform becomes a feature step.

(£400 versus buying a custom made flight etc)
image_2021-02-27_225302.png

yes i understand what you are saying but its a massive trip hazard everyone will without exception stumble on the second step even about 18 even 6mm can cause tripping as the brain forms an instant gauge off tread and works to that
yes the normal users will eventually get quite used but still with the odd trip where as occasional users without fail will trip or stumble up to a level embarrassingly up to --- well your choice really take the risk and nothing happens

look on utube for people tripping on uneven steps or similar for results
how do you plan on getting buildings regs approval so when you sell and put down any structural alterations your covered ??

Last edited:
I have asked a builder (the one who is uninstalling the actual staircase and putting in the new one, and who brought up building regs issue in the first case) it) to get a building control opinion (compliance, safety, good practice) on it as a solution. But I'll probably wait for another second-hand staircase to come along, as patience will probably bring along a perfect match. From what I've read on changes of rise between landings and seen here, it is arguably compliant, but on the margin.

The actual regulation will say something like "must be safe" rather than specific dimensions.

But there are other requirements at play with steps one of which is a commonly held notion that all steps should be equal, as that is how the mind works - and may work one night when running down the stairs half asleep in a panic when the smoke alarm goes off.

For building control, it may well be just a case of convincing one inspector that it is OK, but that does not mean it it is safe, and a surveyor at sale time or an insurance loss adjuster at claim time may well have a valid different opinion.

It's a risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back