1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

tanalised wood and woodworm

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by wagon, 8 Oct 2019.

1. wagon

wagon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello
    I have just had some tanalised wood delivered to make a gate, two of the lengths are good, the third has woodworm holes ++ I phone the provider and was told tanalised wood would have been treated for woodworm so the hole are not an issue, is this right? I do not want to make the gate only to find in the next hot weather woodworm leaving the gate.

2. jonbey

jonbey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Personally, I'd demand a replacement and say that i don't expect woodworm damaged wood. How deep do the woodworm holes go - how much damage has been done? You don't know, and they can't either, without cutting the wood open and looking.

3. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You do have to wonder about the quality controls exercised by any treatment firm where they allow obviously infested timbers to enter their production system, don't you? Doesn't show much quality, that. I'd probably reject the lot and find an alternative supplier

4. wagon

wagon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you both for your advise, I phoned the provider again they still said the woodworm would not have caused any great damage and that it was OK to use! ( incredable how someone on the phone can see into a piece of wood to see woodworm damage ) I have asked again for a replacement which may come Friday, hopefully the replacement will be woodworm free. What happened to the customer always being right?

5. kbultray

kbultray

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It sounds a bit like wickes. Often it's difficult to find decent timber because the lengths have been picked over and over until only the crap stuff is left on display. Some should never have been put out there, but some mug will always buy it.

6. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If there are holes, the worms have gone.