tanalised wood and woodworm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have just had some tanalised wood delivered to make a gate, two of the lengths are good, the third has woodworm holes ++ I phone the provider and was told tanalised wood would have been treated for woodworm so the hole are not an issue, is this right? I do not want to make the gate only to find in the next hot weather woodworm leaving the gate.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I'd demand a replacement and say that i don't expect woodworm damaged wood. How deep do the woodworm holes go - how much damage has been done? You don't know, and they can't either, without cutting the wood open and looking.

You do have to wonder about the quality controls exercised by any treatment firm where they allow obviously infested timbers to enter their production system, don't you? Doesn't show much quality, that. I'd probably reject the lot and find an alternative supplier

Thank you both for your advise, I phoned the provider again they still said the woodworm would not have caused any great damage and that it was OK to use! ( incredable how someone on the phone can see into a piece of wood to see woodworm damage ) I have asked again for a replacement which may come Friday, hopefully the replacement will be woodworm free. What happened to the customer always being right?

Sponsored Links
It sounds a bit like Wickes. Often it's difficult to find decent timber because the lengths have been picked over and over until only the crap stuff is left on display. Some should never have been put out there, but some mug will always buy it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back