tank not heating but boiler firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my mother has been having a bit of a nightmare with British Gas.

She has no hot water in the whole house and so far three different people have been out.

Basically the boiler is quite new and has been working well for a year or so, the hot water seemed to get colder, but still warm until last week when it went cold, but not as cold as the cold tap.

She has a contract with the gas board so they came out and changed the pump on the boiler, no change. They then recommended that she had a complete house pipe flush with some acid and said this was not covered under her contract and would be over £700. Not done yet but do we need it - the flow of water to taps is good.

I had a quick look today and and saw the boiler firing and the outlet pipes getting very hot. I then asked if the hot water tank was warm and it tanspires that no one had looked here. The tank was cold. I turned on the emersion heater and hey presto hot water everywhere (why didnt the gas people do this for her as a short term solution at least!)

So the problem as i see it is the water is not reaching the tank and hence the reason her taps were cold and still not radiators getting warm.

One gas guy even told her that the water in the radiators was the same water that comes through the taps - surely not?

Does anyone have any ideas as I have left her with hot water, albeit thru emmersion, and no heating - we have turned off the boiler as there seemed little point in heating up water to go no where.

Many thanks
Simon

Sponsored Links
Hard to say without knowing the exact set up you have but it sounds like a motorised valve problem or if it's a system boiler a divertor valve or could even be an air lock at the cylinder flow. Could even be no water in the heating system at the cylinder if it's above the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back