Tanked wall and condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basement built with infill blocks (c35 concrete and rebar).

Tanked internally with KA Tanking Slurry.

Water is not entering basement however walls are attracting condensation. Basement is 2/3 in ground, there are 3 window openings above ground, at approx 1x1m each. These windows are yet to be installed so the area is fully open for venitallation. Tanking was applied approx 3-4 weeks back.

Plan is to put up a metal stud frame (away from the walls), fill with mineral wool, VCL over the stud frame, and then insulated plasterboard on top.

Would this provide sufficient enough vapour control to keep the condensation off the cold basement walls?
Understand i could add a dehumidifier and an extractor.

Sponsored Links
I know they are popular but I'm not a fan of dehumidifiers myself. If you need a dehumidifier to keep the environment at a reasonable RH, summit's wrong.

Your plan sounds ok. I would definitely add an extractor (consider a humidistat) and trickle vents to the windows.

Trickle vents on the windows, extractor fan (maybe even 2) and a dehumidifier. Basement is approx 50m2.

When installing the wool insulation between the metal studs... should the insulation be kept off the wall (leaving a gap) or should it be pushed up against the wall? As mentioned there will be a VCL on top of the stud (warm side) so there should be not way moisture could get from the wall > wool insulation and through to the plaster boarded finish.

Need to get this right as once its all done and skimmed... it will be a PITA to check whats happening behind the stud work.

Sponsored Links
Standard answer is to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the product you choose but, I can tell you, that all the standard configurations for wall linings show a gap. Typically about 20 or 25mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back