Condensation on new basement walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Semi basement - 50% in ground, has 3 small 1m2 windows at ground level.

Tanking slurry applied to walls. No leaks - was left over 6 months.

I have studded the walls (leaving a 25mm gap between wall and stud framework) using metal stud and insulated between with bats, my next step is to add a VCL and use a insulated plasterboard on top. Before I do the PB I have concerns regarding humidity levels and condensation.

Humidity levels were up to 85% today
The lower parts of the walls I can see water beading (behind the metal stud)
The lower parts of the wall temp reads close to the Dew Point
I left all 3 windows open, and the humidity levels dropped to 75%.

I understand that the downside to tanking a wall means it also stops it from breathing. Which I believe is the case here.
As I am insulating away from the wall and creating a warm airspace within the room, it is leaving the 25mm void and the walls even cooler.

I have setup a dehumidifier to see how that affects the humidity level over night.
Any suggestions on what other steps I can take here? I have seen anti condensation paint, any good? > https://www.permagard.co.uk/anti-co...w6I9MsyxysIjoavDCo6I2Yfrr3F1nC9hoCeeoQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
One of the key factors with condensation is sufficient ventilation to create an airflow so i would look at the location of any airbricks or other provision for ventilating the space.

Dehumidifier
Extractor fans
Opening windows
Applying anti condensation paint

Thing is, if I didn't do the stud work and insulation, then the walls would have been warmer, and less condensation!

Semi basement - 50% in ground, has 3 small 1m2 windows at ground level.

Tanking slurry applied to walls. No leaks - was left over 6 months.

I have studded the walls (leaving a 25mm gap between wall and stud framework) using metal stud and insulated between with bats, my next step is to add a VCL and use a insulated plasterboard on top. Before I do the PB I have concerns regarding humidity levels and condensation.

Humidity levels were up to 85% today
The lower parts of the walls I can see water beading (behind the metal stud)
The lower parts of the wall temp reads close to the Dew Point
I left all 3 windows open, and the humidity levels dropped to 75%.

I understand that the downside to tanking a wall means it also stops it from breathing. Which I believe is the case here.
As I am insulating away from the wall and creating a warm airspace within the room, it is leaving the 25mm void and the walls even cooler.

I have setup a dehumidifier to see how that affects the humidity level over night.
Any suggestions on what other steps I can take here? I have seen anti condensation paint, any good? > https://www.permagard.co.uk/anti-co...w6I9MsyxysIjoavDCo6I2Yfrr3F1nC9hoCeeoQAvD_BwE
It is a below ground structure. Expect a monumental battle with damp, condensation and mouldy smell - or live with it.

Sponsored Links
I have seen anti condensation paint
There is no such thing.
It's paint with mould inhibitors that's all.

The design ethos of basement waterproofing is that all systems will fail and so a secondary system (drain and pump) is required.

Specific ventilation and insulation consideration is also required. Eg, open your three windows in winter and see what happens with the humidity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back