Tanking wall plugs

M

marsaday

I am about to lay some membrane over some steps and so will need to use the yellow plugs as fixings for the screws which will hold the ply board in place.

i have never screwed into these plugs before as i have always made a timber frame. does anyone know how i go about lining up my piece of wood with the location of the plugs (prob 4 on each step), to take the screws? thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not quite sure what you're doing, but it's normal to drill through the timber and into the masonry with a masonry bit.
That way you'll know they'll line up.
Stick some bitumen or silicone around the hole before the membrane goes on to seal it once screwed.

Hope this helps.

tanking plugs that i use are yellow and have a rubber seal around them. they fit into a hole that a 10mm bit has made.

these plugs also have a cavity in them which take a screw (up to 12 gague). it means you are not breaking the barrier you have created ie, the screw goes into the plug body and not through the liner.

lining this up when you place some timber over the area is a problem.

any tips on how to do it other than trial an error?

I still don't really understand, surely the screw goes through the membrane and into the plug.
So you predrill the ply, then go through it with a small masonry bit into the masonry, then remove the ply, open up the holes, fit your plugs, then the membrane, then the ply. No?

Sponsored Links
no. this is not like your normal drill/plug/screw technique. you hold the membrane on the wall and drill a 10mm hole through it into the masonary. you then whack in a yellow plug with seal on it.

you then screw your baton to this yellow plug there is a hole for accepting the screw). this means you can attach a frame to the membrane without screwing into the membrane again. the only place this has happened is when you put the yellow plugs in place and these are sealed.

so no one has any tips on aligning up the batons with these plugs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back