Tantalised or not tantalised

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guy's

I have just had anew shed and one of the spec's was all exposed and floor wood to be tantalised

A few days before the shed arrived the guy rang to say the floor is going to be more orange than the rest (which isn't orange at all) but it's just the same. I asked him to confirm it was still tantalised and he said yes.

Now I am beginning to suspect it's not tantalised and he fobbed me off with stained wood instead,

How can I confirm if it has been tantalised or not??

TIA

Richard

Sponsored Links
Ask him to confirm that it is tanalised in writing and how long the timber is guaranteed for?

Andy

Sponsored Links
I used to find timber quite tantalising - especially when bare, but the therapy does seem to have helped

Tanalised timber (Tanalith)leaves a green shade. There are other treatments which may be brown or orange which are still preservative treatments, and some may not give a change of colour at all

If this is external timber, then the treatment should be suitable for regular damp conditions (as Tanalith would be), and some other treatments are not suitable for damp conditions.

Ask him to confirm that it is tanalised in writing and how long the timber is guaranteed for?

Andy

I have the spec in writing that he agreed:

Solid door to the l/h side
Wood: all exposed and floor wood to be tantalised.

Wood as per spec:
19MM TONGUE AND GROOVE CLADDING
76MM X 50MM (3X2 CLS PLANED) FRAMEWORK
76MM X 50MM (3X2 CLS PLANED) FLOOR BEARERS
76MM X 50MM (3X2 CLS PLANED) ROOF JOISTS
25MM (1") THICK FLOOR BOARDS(SAWN)
The concrete base 25x 16 is down, flat and level with good free easy access.

If he say's it is that still doesn't move the argument on any as we're just full circle. How do I prove it is/isn't tantalised?

I used to find timber quite tantalising - especially when bare, but the therapy does seem to have helped

Tanalised timber (Tanalith)leaves a green shade. There are other treatments which may be brown or orange which are still preservative treatments, and some may not give a change of colour at all

If this is external timber, then the treatment should be suitable for regular damp conditions (as Tanalith would be), and some other treatments are not suitable for damp conditions.

This is my point the tantalized wood (all the exposed stuff) looks as you would expect. The floor looks orange and not as one would expect -hence my concern I have paid for something that I haven't recieved. Therefore before I go accusing I need to know if there is a way to prove/disprove the treatment.

Thanks BTW

is the floor made of sterling board

sterlingboard.jpg

If its orange it has probably been dipped (like most fence panels) rather than pressure-treated. If it bothers you that much, ask for a replacement, or treat the underside of the flooring joists to a couple of coats of preservative before its laid down.

If its orange it has probably been dipped (like most fence panels) rather than pressure-treated. If it bothers you that much, ask for a replacement, or treat the underside of the flooring joists to a couple of coats of preservative before its laid down.

The shed is in and up. But if I paid extra for tantalised and received dipped then I guess I have the right to be bothered..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back