Tap capstan spins round and round

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Last night I turned the sink tap off in the bathroom and then found the capstan just spun round and round, there's nothing gripping at all, so it won't turn on or off.

Because I was worried in case it magically fixed itself and there might be some kind of flood in the night, I was going to turn off the stopcock, but I couldn't budge it (even though I had turned it off, then back a bit as recommended last Winter).

My first thought was to call out a plumber, but somebody told me there might be some kind of tape I can use under the capstan to make it grip again. Are they correct? If so, I have some queries:

How do I remove the capstan as it seems pretty stuck to me (it is 25 years old?

Do I need to turn off the stopcock before removing the capstan?

What is the tape I would need to wind round inside?

I am a complete novice where plumbing is concerned so please could you spell out any advice?

Many thanks in advance,

Carrie

Sponsored Links
you can take the top off it, and see what's happened. Possibly the bit inside the tap that screws up and down has come out.

Equip yourself with a new tap internal (will probably cost you £6 or so for a pair at your DIY or plumbing shop) as you may as well fit a new part if you are taking it apart, at that age. If you enjoy doing that you might as well change the other tap on the basin, which is presumably the same age and equally worn. You will need two adjustable wrenches. Buy some PTFE tape to put round the thread as you reassemble the tap.

If you insist on trying to re-use the old innards, get some silicone grease and new tap washers for it. i think the innards is called a "replacement tap valve" or something like that - it's a brass part with a thread at one end and a spindle at the other, and a hex that your spanner grips about in the middle.

This is a much easier job than swapping a new tap on, as you don't have to clamber under the basin and undo an immovable nut.

Thankyou for your reply.

I read somewhere after posting this that you can just take off the handle part, wind the PTFE tape round what is showing and then just push the handle back on, where it will grip and then turn again as usual. Is this the case?

I ask because we are moving out in a week or so and although I obviously don't want to leave it for the new owner to fix, I know that she is going to rip out the bathroom as soon as possible anyway.

TIA,

Carrie

I should also add that I don't want to replace the washers or anything like that, I just need to have the capstan turn the tap on and off and nothing more really so I don't need wrenches or spanners.

Many thanks,

Carrie

Sponsored Links
you mean you think the handle is loose on its spindle?

a lot depends what sort of tap it is.

can you post a photo?

can you see a screw either just under the handle, going sideways into the spindle, or in the middle of the top, possibly under a plastic cap?

if you undo this screw the handle should pull off. no water will squirt out.

if you see brass splines that the handle should engage on, it is possible you have a plastic handle and it is cracked so unable to grip. Plastic handles do this.

however you can buy a new pair of handles for about £8 - £10 (they are sold as Tap Revivers and come with a new internal, as they are usually used to renovate old or worn-out taps, but you can fit the new handle on old spindles)
p1090454_l.jpg
p1089812_l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back