Tap ceramic valve horrendously corroded - do I need a water softner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just come to replace the valves in our kitchen tap. It's a £180 CDA tap that went in just over 5 years ago (Because of course it did!)

Anyway, it's not gone well - the valves, and spline and handles are horrendously corroded to the point I actually broke the splines off each of the old valves, and I've damaged the hot water handle trying to remove it.

So that irritation aside - surely this isn't normal? I've noticed since we moved here that the water seems quite hard, but I worry it's getting to a point where it's actually going to be doing genuine damage and costing me money.

I'll post up some pics later, but do I need a water softener or something?

Sponsored Links
You mean corrosion of the brass?

Not limescale?

What cleaning chemicals have been used?

A water softener will prevent the limescale deposits, but won't do anything for corrosion.

Some substandard types of brass will corrode significantly, due to their zinc content being lost over time.
Quality manufacturers use brass which is resistant to that.

CDA is not a quality manufacturer. It's what's usually included by default with a new kitchen, such as those dubious deals where you buy the kitchen and get the appliances half price / free / other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back