Tap connections - copper vs flexible - can I switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a monobloc mixer kitchen tap, (Franke Eiger brand) and have tried to fit it myself. However, there are two 230mm straight copper connectors on the tap which are slightly smaller than those on the previous model. So there is gap between the pipe fittings.

It strikes me that fitting would be much easier if the Franke tap came with 300mm flexible connectors. I have seen some in B&Q/ Wickes etc for 10mm x 15mm and 12mm x 15mm, for a price that is pretty cheap in comparison to the tap!

So my questions are:

1) Would it be a problem if I replace Franke's fixed copper connectors with a generic flexible connector?

2) If no problem, what size I would need - is the measurement for the inside of the hole or from screw edge to screw edge?)

3) And, what is the advantage of a straight copper pipe, if any?

Huge thanks in advance for helpful replies!

Sponsored Links
I have bought a monobloc mixer kitchen tap, (Franke Eiger brand) and have tried to fit it myself. However, there are two 230mm straight copper connectors on the tap which are slightly smaller than those on the previous model. So there is gap between the pipe fittings.

It strikes me that fitting would be much easier if the Franke tap came with 300mm flexible connectors. I have seen some in B&Q/ Wickes etc for 10mm x 15mm and 12mm x 15mm, for a price that is pretty cheap in comparison to the tap!

So my questions are:

1) Would it be a problem if I replace Franke's fixed copper connectors with a generic flexible connector?

2) If no problem, what size I would need - is the measurement for the inside of the hole or from screw edge to screw edge?)

3) And, what is the advantage of a straight copper pipe, if any?

Huge thanks in advance for helpful replies!

1) It should not be. Tightening a copper one may be easier. smear a little silicone grease on the seal as it helps if doing it hand tight!

2) take one of the Fanke's when you go shopping to make sure the longer type has the same thread and seal location.

3) A solder connection that's all - No problem using a tap connector as an alternative

Thanks for the very helpful reply.

Buying a flexible connector turned out indeed to make the job much easier - I got a 500mm one in the end. The job is now, finally, completed.

(The width measurement was from outside edge to outside edge: for Franke taps it seems to be a 12mm connector that is needed.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back