Tap hoses too short... by about 20mm!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a new maixer unit for the kitchen sink, and the hose connectors are about 20mm too short to connect to the orignal fitting.

I'm no plumber so sorry if this seems a bit simple...

The current fixing to the mixer tap is of copper pipe, the hot/cold feeds mix before reaching the taps. By tacing the pipes back to the two seperate feeds, the both come off a tee joint which have the same size nut as the ones on the new hoses, but they're just a little too far away to be able to connect the new hoses.

What is the simplest way to extend the existing fitting? dose the pipework need to be cut at the tee, the extended and re soldered, or is there a way of fixing something, maybe an isolator into this fitting then connecting the hoses up to the new mixer tap?

Sponsored Links
Do the pipe ends have a nut and olive on them?

Are the pipes 15mm (outside diameter)?

Can you confirm that the hoses are the flexible type with the braided covering?

Yes, the current pipes are nut and olive, they come out of the main feed from a tee, there is a short length of 15mm pipe on the end of which is the nut and olive, this then connects to a smaller diameter copper pipe with another nut and olive, runs for about 300mm into an 'upside down Y' where it is then fixed to the mixer (both feeds are the same into the 'Y' )

There is currently no flexible hoses, however the NEW mixer unit came which two flexible tap hoses, which have the braided covering.

if the current setup had been installed about 2-3 inches higher i could have simple disconnected them and fitted the hoses in there place.

hope that makes sence...

OK, I think I get what you're saying :confused: :)

What I would do is to add a service valve (isolator) to the end of the 15mm pipe, using the existing nut and olive. There's no way of guaranteeing they will have the same thread but most do. Then add a stub of 15mm copper to the downstream side of the isolator, and attach the the new flexies to the stub. Repeat for the other pipe, and don't do the compression joints up too tightly (they need to be done up firmly, but not with every ounce of your strength).

I am of course assuming that the new flexies have a 15mm compression fitting at the pipe end!

Sponsored Links
By the way, remember to fit the isolators the right way round, the arrow on them should point in the direction of flow (ie, toward the tap).

Cheers, that sounds like something i should be able to do!

No for the dumb question :oops: ..... just to check...... DOWNSTREAM... thats the side that the arrow on the isolator points? the tap side....?

That's right, the arrow points in the same direction as the water flows. So the end of the isolator with the arrow-head goes downsteam (nearest the tap) and the end with the arrow-tail goes upstream (nearest the supply pipe).

It wouldn't be the end of the world if an isolator was fitted backwards, it would make no difference in service but it might let by when used to shut off the water.

Many thanks for the help, explanations, and advice...... with regards not being the end of the world - i guess it's that way for a reason! :)

Will let you know how i get on!

Cheers again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back