Tap in my living room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have asked a few questions recently.on my plumbing as I'm trying to shut the water off to my house to fix something

I've looked for the stopcock in the kitchen and a cupboard inside but I can't see it anywhere

I've always wondered why I have this Tap in my living room near my back boiler/fireplace but not touched it in case.

Can anyone shed some light on this at all? I'm doubt it's what I want it to be
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190107_104329.jpg
    IMG_20190107_104329.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20190107_104318.jpg
    IMG_20190107_104318.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 245
Sponsored Links
That tap is probably the drain off for a back boiler.

If there are other houses the same as yours on the street, have you tried asking a neighbour where theirs is?

Generally the stopcock is in the kitchen, or if you have them a downstairs WC or bathroom it could be there. However I have seen kitchen units fitted in front of them, or if your house has been altered since it was built it could be where the kitchen sink used to be.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all .Can't find it anywhere . I was also thinking maybe it's behind some kitchen cupboards. On the homebuyer survey also mentioned didn't see stopcock so assumes was being kitchen cupboards

I'll ask some neighbours but there houses have been extended and alot more modern than my one

Thanks, as always I appreciate the help

They don't tend to put them off the route of the pipework.
You need to find where the water enters the house.

mine (1950's) was in a larder at the rear of the house. (solid floors)
my bother's (victorian terrace) was under the front hall as that's where the pipe came in.

On the homebuyer survey also mentioned didn't see stopcock so assumes was behind kitchen cupboards
Mine said that as well. Turned out that it was under the kitchen sink and not at all hidden. :rolleyes: However, we have since extended the property and it's is now in a cupboard in the hall which was originally part of the kitchen.

Hi.

I have asked a few questions recently.on my plumbing as I'm trying to shut the water off to my house to fix something

I've looked for the stopcock in the kitchen and a cupboard inside but I can't see it anywhere

I've always wondered why I have this Tap in my living room near my back boiler/fireplace but not touched it in case.

Can anyone shed some light on this at all? I'm doubt it's what I want it to be
Thanks
Doubt not and shut that tap then go to the kitchen -the cold water should be off.;)

Doubt not and shut that tap then go to the kitchen -the cold water should be off.;)
So you think it's what I'm looking for?. I hadn't touched it in case water does come out on my living room floor lol, based on that day today that would be my luck.

I did look behind all the cupbosrds I could get to, which was under the sink area and nothing there. I checked behind the washing machine as that's in an odd place and not there either. Have checked in the understated cupbooard but not there either.

I've read some places have them under floorboards and all sorts, but just be s job for the pros as I'm at a loss.

I thought I'd check my loft for the first time today too, and check my water tank, I didn't venture in too far in the end, but I was hoping to see a water tank with good insulation and a well fitting lid, not quite

Attachments

• IMG_20190107_112447.jpg
    IMG_20190107_112447.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20190107_112519.jpg
    IMG_20190107_112519.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 138
If you measure the lid of the roof cistern you'll be able to get a plastic one - and a Bylaw 30 kit for the insulation. The giveaway on your tap in the chimney is the "crutch head" - the T shaped top of a stopcock. It's got a combined drain cock. The idea when built was to have a void up the side of the chimney breast for boiler pipes and the rising main. In a way you're lucky the tap head has been left showing - some are completely hidden in the boxing.

That's good news then and thanks for your help, I'd always thought if should be boxed in but in this case I'm glad I can see it then

Out of interest, the large water tank in the picture above, souks you have any idea what they feed? I've read several things from those tanks supplying the bathroom taps, cisterns etc so possibly drinking water etc but I don't know myself Either way I'm. Not living there right now and it's quite a large tank so getting it empty and refreshed when we get in would be handy

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back