Tap Troubles - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to this forum and non technical so please bare with me....

I have a mixer tap - hot tap flow fine. Cold tap - I have to turn the tap several times (3 or 4 full circles) prior to getting any water out. When the water does come out, it spurts with some force. I then turn the tap off slowly to reduce the flow of water, and the water stops. I have to turn the tap softly softly to get any flow of cold water at all.
This all started after a plumber changed the washer to stop my tap dripping.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
get him back, he obviously hasn't put everything back together properly

Are the mixer taps the pillar kind with jumpers?

How old are they?

If they are the normal headgears then it may have come off its thread by being screwed down too far.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I think I've fixed the main problem - turning tap on forever until cold water comes out by buying a new tap insert thing from B&Q.

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/index.php?id=551&pid=6622&sid=1

I can now turn the tap on and get water instantly without making me jump and soaking me - wahey!

Problem is that the tap still seems to drip. Taps are about 13 years old and look like this

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...efview=search&ts=1283172393541&isSearch=false

Do I need a new complete tap assembly ie the whole kit and caboodle?!

Oh, I can't get the plumber back as he did the job for me as a 'goodwill' gesture when he came to fix my leaking shower under plumbing care (taps aren't covered by the insurance)!

Sponsored Links
Did you replace both tap headgers or just one?

If you replaced both and it is still dripping then there is either dirt/grit on the washer or the seat is worn and will need re cutting.

With mixers its not easy to tell which side is passing.

thanks guys,

I'll give it a go - I replaced both and you're right, I just assumed it was the cold tap still dripping (albeit very slowly). I'll have a go at the gadget to clean the inside out and fingers crossed it will work.

Cheers,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back