Tapping into an existing ceiling rose.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst changing all the ceiling roses and wall switches in my house I discovered one of the outside lights not only has bad wiring but it’s not powered by the lighting loop. Fortunately even though I removed the lighting fuse prior to starting work I also checked the live terminal with a tester screwdriver before dismantling it.

Obviously I now need to replace the wiring, but I need to wire it correctly too. What I need to know is would it be good practice to power the light and switch directly from a nearby ceiling rose?

Any help would be appreciated

Robert

Sponsored Links
Yes, much better than the previous method.

But please dispose of that useless neon screwdriver (which is probably no good even as a screwdriver). Those things lie to you and can be dangerous if they go faulty. There should be a bin for it at your local police station.

Buy yourself a multimeter, they are only a few quid.

Yes, much better than the previous method.

But please dispose of that useless neon screwdriver (which is probably no good even as a screwdriver). Those things lie to you and can be dangerous if they go faulty. There should be a bin for it at your local police station.

Buy yourself a multimeter, they are only a few quid.

That’s great news and very quick reply too!

Have to admit it was some time ago when I tested the switch with the neon screwdriver and have since bought a digital multimeter. Best fiver I ever spent!

Thanks again for replying so quickly,

Robert

Whilst changing all the ceiling roses and wall switches in my house I discovered one of the outside lights not only has bad wiring
What's wrong with it?

but it’s not powered by the lighting loop.
Nothing wrong with that.

Obviously I now need to replace the wiring,
Obviously?

but I need to wire it correctly too.
Well, yes - anything you do should be correct, but not using a lighting circuit is not incorrect.

What I need to know is would it be good practice to power the light and switch directly from a nearby ceiling rose?
Neither good nor bad. But it might be bad if it's a 500W floodlight and your circuit can't take the extra load.

Also if your lighting circuit doesn't have RCD protection you may not bury in the wall any new cables you install.

Sponsored Links
Whilst changing all the ceiling roses and wall switches in my house I discovered one of the outside lights not only has bad wiring
What's wrong with it?

but it’s not powered by the lighting loop.
Nothing wrong with that.

Obviously I now need to replace the wiring,
Obviously?

but I need to wire it correctly too.
Well, yes - anything you do should be correct, but not using a lighting circuit is not incorrect.

What I need to know is would it be good practice to power the light and switch directly from a nearby ceiling rose?
Neither good nor bad. But it might be bad if it's a 500W floodlight and your circuit can't take the extra load.

Also if your lighting circuit doesn't have RCD protection you may not bury in the wall any new cables you install.

I found it quite dangerous to have a light switch out of the lighting loop especially as it is not cut off when the lighting switch is OFF. Otherwise what is the use of having a switch to kill the entire lighting circuit in the first place. Might be an old 50’s house with wiring to match but it should still do the job it says.

Yes, I need to ‘obviously’ change the wiring because the outer sleeve on this is deteriorated to the point where some of the inner wires are exposed.

No, I don’t have a RCD. Wire isn’t buried in the wall and this won’t be changed given this is just for cosmetic reasons. The light itself is only a small 15w bulb, not a floodlight.

I found it quite dangerous to have a light switch out of the lighting loop especially as it is not cut off when the lighting switch is OFF.
1) Provided you follow proper safety procedures there is no danger.

2) You now know that that switch is not on the lighting circuit so there's no longer an issue. Document it for any future occupants and all will be well.

Otherwise what is the use of having a switch to kill the entire lighting circuit in the first place. Might be an old 50’s house with wiring to match but it should still do the job it says.
There is nothing wrong with having an outside light on a circuit other than a lighting one.

It should be done properly though - you may not have a normal light switch on a socket circuit. The switch should either be supplied via a fused connection unit, or be one.

Yes, I need to ‘obviously’ change the wiring because the outer sleeve on this is deteriorated to the point where some of the inner wires are exposed.
Indeed you do.

Wire isn’t buried in the wall and this won’t be changed given this is just for cosmetic reasons.
You'll be adding new cables, so as long as you are happy to add more surface wiring to your walls....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back