Tax - Self Assessment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody do it, and whats involved ?

Retired now and decided the accountant isn't getting another penny out of me. So it's going to be a DIY job from here on in,

Sponsored Links
I have been self assessing since 1996, I was bit of a bind filling in and posting the paper forms but now filing the return on-line is simple and if you have to hand all the figures of income and expenditure that is tax deductible takes less than half an hour,

Only ever paid an accountant once, since then did my own when I was self-employed. It's quite straight-forward, once you know which sections apply and which don't to you and your situation. Used to take me a whole evening, sitting there with all my receipts etc but I quite enjoyed it tbh :)

I was self employed for years

Never employed an accountant

Never filled in a tax return

Use to be tax walk in help offices u just walked in with figures jotted down on some a 4 paper

Act thick, yes I know ;) and they did it for me

I. Had it pretty much worked out tbh as to. What I would pay

Sponsored Links
Never. My accountant handles all my tax affairs. Anything with HMRC on it goes straight to them.

Still managed to get £7'500 going the other way without their help though...:mrgreen:
I got my £10k small business grant myself but as our accountant does our payroll, I left it to them to sort out our Furlough payments and I suppose they’ll sort the £1k per employee furlough job retention bonus for us in January too. :)

If your accountant has been doing it in previous years would I have to get my"Unique Taxpayer Reference" from them? or would I need to re-register and get another "Unique Taxpayer Reference" number?

Seems to be two options for registering, either Self Employed or 'Not Self Employed' I have rental income, stock and shares, Interest. That must be 'Not Self Employed' ??

Knowing what a nightmare the HMRC can be if minor details are not correct I am trying not to get started on the wrong foot.

If your accountant has been doing it in previous years would I have to get my"Unique Taxpayer Reference" from them? or would I need to re-register and get another "Unique Taxpayer Reference" number?

Seems to be two options for registering, either Self Employed or 'Not Self Employed' I have rental income, stock and shares, Interest. That must be 'Not Self Employed' ??

Knowing what a nightmare the HMRC can be if minor details are not correct I am trying not to get started on the wrong foot.
It's self employed. This may help you?

https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/kn...to-self-assessment-tax-returns-for-landlords/

Your accountant will have your UTR, you shouldn't afaik get a new number. If you've a copy of any of the previous returns he's done, you should find it on there.

I've been doing since the mid 90s. I put it off and put it off and then usually do it mid January. It only usually takes about an hour, once I have all the data together.

My accountant does my tax return and I do their electrical work, I would hate to miss something I should claim for, & any muck ups by HMRC ( there have been many) are sorted promptly

My accountant does my tax return and I do their electrical work, I would hate to miss something I should claim for, & any muck ups by HMRC ( there have been many) are sorted promptly
And 7 years after you have retired when all the complexity of Ltd Co etc have thankfully vanished - will you continue to pay them 500 +

Anyway - found an HMRC forum for getting help with such matters, guess what, it don't work.. And this is what worries me about anything with gov IT - it don't bloody well work

Last edited:
Check out 'Pandle' accounts package. You can use it for free. Or pay £5 (excl VAT) per month and get some additional capabilities. Makes my life easy as I can import the bank statement and reconcile it with invoices and expenses. If you are VAT registered you can run a VAT report. Then manually enter it into HMRC or use their automatic submission routine.

Never. My accountant handles all my tax affairs

To be fair though, your business will have VAT, CIS, plant depreciation, company vehicles and a substantial turnover. I guess you might a Ltd Co too, so CT600, annual return, directors tax returns blah blah.

Judging by the neatness of your in progress site pics, I have a feeling your paperwork is of the same std.

I used to know a builder that took his paperwork to his accountant at year end in a Tesco bag.

Sponsored Links
Back