TB

it was caught it in a+e i went to get some stitches in a cut on my head
there were found out later there were 9 cases being treated that night
immigrants high risk group as you mentioned these new strains as the doctor
called them are harder to treat and symtoms i had none slight cough
high temp for a few weeks then brought up blood only then did i think i had a
problem you really seem to no you stuff on this but i do think a lot of facts and figures are not made public i am not paranoid but got to go before they get me

Sponsored Links
You don't need to worry.
You've made a gross error of judgment in posting that statement.

Firstly, you have no reason to think that I was, or am, worrying.

Secondly, even if I was worrying, it is not your place to tell me whether or not I need to worry. In fact, your statement is enough to make me worry, since it immediately introduces the idea (a) that there is something to worry about, and (b) that you, with no personal knowledge of me, or my family, or my living conditions, or my working conditions, purport to understand and quantify, in relative terms, the risks to me personally.

TB is quite hard to get. You get it from inhaling aerosols containing large numbers of the bacteria which are produced by infected people coughing (not from drains!).
You seem to have focussed on drains. I wonder why that is. Perhaps you find drains, as a source of TB infection, easy to dismiss, but in doing so you're ignoring a rather significant part of my question.

So unless you are working for prolonged periods (weeks) in poorly ventilated places, in cramped circumstances with people who are likely to have TB (and are currently coughing) like prisons or for intra-venous dug users/AIDS patients you have very little chance of getting it.
How interesting. How then, do you explain the fact that I know two people, both close friends, one of them a partner with whom I lived, who had TB a number of years ago, without encountering the conditions that you've just defined?

Don't bother to answer - I think I know. It's because you don't actually know the risks, and you're attempting to appear impressive. Well, I'm the opposite of impressed.

And even if you did catch it chances are you'd never know.
OK then. Please quantity the chances of knowing.

Furthermore almost all strains are treatable.
Please quantify "almost".

I think the WHO estimates that about 50% of the worlds population have been infected by TB at some point.
Please provide a reference to a document in which this "about 50%" is published.

Legionaires disease is however caught by inhaling aerosols from water sources (e.g. showers). The bug, legionella pneumophilia...<bla bla>
Did I ask about Legionnaires Disease?

No.

I didn't.

So please create a new topic if you want to spout about things other than TB.

Nice to see a question I know the answer to for once :p
I'll be the judge of that.

TB or not TB that is the question and even some doctors dont no the answer
50% published document i make you right there softus

My GPs state that after about 3 tetanus boosters no more are required.

Dear Softus, are you saying that TB can be caught from working on sanitaryware/drains etc?

Althoug I don't indulge in this type of work I would still like to be aware of the risks.

I had all the vaccinations whilst at school. many, many years ago ;)

I thought Hepatitus was the more relevant virus to be caught.

Sponsored Links
Could I gently point out that this topic is about TB, not Tetanus.

Dear Softus, are you saying that TB can be caught from working on sanitarware/drains etc?
I'm not saying that it can, or that it can't.

I actually don't know whether it can or can't. However, I do have a very sensitive and accurately calibrated bullsh*t detector.

Dear Softus,
I'm sorry that I appear to have annoyed you. You have been very helpful to me on another thread. From your initial post I thought you might be worried that your occupation increased your risk of getting TB and that was why you put up the post; I was attempting to give you some reassurance that that was not the case.

I'm sorry that your friends had TB and I hope they are alright now. The question as I understood it was about the risks from work; and you mention drains in your post. I do not of course know anything about your personal circumstances.

This is a link to a fact-sheet on TB from the world health organisation

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs104/en/index.html

see also

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/TOPIC2321.HTM

this has a more scientific discussion than the WHO document. I hope you will see evidence for what I said. Some people like your friends who have no risk factors (eg drug abuse/AIDS) get TB but it's much less common.

I mentioned Legionaires disease because I would guess there is some increased risk because of your job and that the disease carries a high mortality. I had thought that now you have heard more about it that if you developed the symptoms you might see your doctor earlier and be more effectively treated.

I was not trying to be impressive but merely to be helpful, rather like you are with heating problems (It is the area in which I work and didn't list my qualifications as that I thought would have been boastful).

Again, apologies for having caused so much offense; I hope you realise that I only had the best intentions.

Dear Softus,
I'm sorry that I appear to have annoyed you.
You didn't. However, in hindsight I was momentarily acutely intolerant, so I apologise for that.

...I was attempting to give you some reassurance that that was not the case.
I realise that you were well-meaning, so thank you for that, but the reassurance really isn't needed (by me).

I'm sorry that your friends had TB and I hope they are alright now.
Both fine now. One nearly died, but that's another story.

The question as I understood it was about the risks from work; and you mention drains in your post.
Merely one example. There are lots of plumbers on this site. Also, everyone has a drain.

This is a link to a fact-sheet on TB from the world health organisation

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs104/en/index.html

see also

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/TOPIC2321.HTM[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I'll study those and you can test me later. ;)

I mentioned Legionaires disease because I would guess there is some increased risk because of your job and that the disease carries a high mortality. I had thought that now you have heard more about it that if you developed the symptoms you might see your doctor earlier and be more effectively treated.
Your were being thoughtful, and I'm an ungrateful git.

I think you are actually right Gas4You. the A+E dept where I worked several years ago used to give anyone with a puncture wound and who hadn't been vaccinated in 10 years a booster. But I've just had a look for the evidence for doing so and it seems to not be of much benefit if someone's had the full course. Apologies. If you have concerns about your work and the risk of hepatitis, post a new thread and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Jockspark,
not at hand but I'm sure there will be some out there as all cases of TB have to be notified to the government. I'll have a look after work tomorrow and dig some out for you.

PB

He's slipping!...

Running the risk of having my head bitten off too ;) ...Softus, ok you have a concern (yes, yes ,yes, for whatever reason..) about TB putting that aside..is Leptosporosis (weils disease) a concern to you?...given the type of work you might be involved with?..is it worth the concern?

Reason I ask is the question turns up over and over again in health and safety testing...examination bodies throw it it at every given opportunity..yet ive never come across a plumber, groundworker etc who has ever had it..and in most cases, never heard of it!

Sorry to Hijack your thread..

Any good to you?

http://www.cdc.gov/tb/pubs/tbfactsheets/tb.htm

http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/communicable/tuberculosis/fact_sheet.htm

Have you tried the BMA website?..maybe India/Asia medical sites might have somehting to offer...they are probably more clued up on it than we are.

Im still waiting for Joe90's...''Its all down to the immigrants'' post!

Softus, ok you have a concern (yes, yes ,yes, for whatever reason..) about TB
My "concern" is that we are told that (a) drug resistant TB strains, in other countries, are on the increase, (b) immigration has increased, and (c) those in the PHC industry who are charged with increasing public awareness and promoting care are not doing their jobs.

Does anyone think this is something I should not be concerned about?

putting that aside..is Leptosporosis (weils disease) a concern to you?
On this topic? No.

Any good to you?

http://www.cdc.gov/tb/pubs/tbfactsheets/tb.htm

http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/communicable/tuberculosis/fact_sheet.htm[/QUOTE]
I shall read them and let you know. Thanks Zampa.

Have you tried the BMA website?..maybe India/Asia medical sites might have somehting to offer...they are probably more clued up on it than we are.
Therein lies my point.

Im still waiting for Joe90's...''Its all down to the immigrants'' post!
Well, partly it is, but it's also down to increased travel abroad, particularly for holidays.

Sponsored Links
Back