teach a man to fish

I admit 121 posts and counting is a poor larkrise to your candleford sire. :)
yes it was a squaddie and i agree he was told by you quite politely how to go about being a better plumber. But other comments posted were not very pleasant. I am aware he posted other questions also and all i can say is , at least hes trying unlike the other 2 odd million "jobseekers" and i use the term loosely. ;)
I could pick other topics that have been met by the grunt of the OBB RGI's on here but that one seemed the easiest to use an an example cos it has both sides to my argument in it.

Sponsored Links
I told him he should go back to college as he'd been there for three years and didn't know some very basic things. Which is the truth.

gasman, we are all in here for a reason as i said earlier , one is for help and the other is to help.

You did did tell him he needed a refund, which is also true :D
I blame the mickey mouse three day training courses and that he really shouldn't be charging for such services he cant deliver on. All of this is not the point of my topic though.

My point is:- :idea: "can't we all just get along" :?:

god now i'm starting to sound like a hippy:cool:

The plumbing section is the forum most likely to get me thinking..

"Well instead of typing all that out, you might as well just have given them the answer"

Sponsored Links
gasman, we are all in here for a reason as i said earlier , one is for help and the other is to help.

You did did tell him he needed a refund, which is also true :D
I blame the mickey mouse three day training courses and that he really shouldn't be charging for such services he cant deliver on. All of this is not the point of my topic though.

My point is:- :idea: "can't we all just get along" :?:

god now i'm starting to sound like a hippy:cool:

edit

There are times, though, when a sarcastic answer is called for, e.g. when an OP posts only something like the following:

"My window is broken" or "my door won't shut" without asking any questions.

Or they go the other way and start with something like:

"I'm thinking of buying a house but the one side is falling down, .......load of irrelevant details.......and the roof is leaking.......more details........the floor is a bit rotten in the front room.......even more details........I can't get upstairs to view the first floor but what I could see through the ceiling, etc......
What should I do first?"

Or they put their location as something like Siberia, then ask what kind of foundations are required.

Or their post reads something like;
My friend has ******* it up. He's a *****. Now the ******thing won't do anything. I'm ***** as to what to do next. I've tried **** it but it's *****.

Perhaps some can ignore them but I'm too sarcastic, I guess.

I just want to mention that i have given some advice on this forum over the past few months and mostly, i admit not all, has been technically correct.But that is why it is an open forum, so that even i can be put right. I have no objections to this. This information is based on my knowledge and experience from personal findings, training and the university of life.

I have found, from reading other posts, that there is a handful of members that find it neccessary to be quite rude, arrogant even obnoxious. Just because they have posted thousands of posts/answers does not make them owners of this forum nor does it give them a right to belittle people.

One example is a chap who asked a simple question on plumbing and then he gets hauled over the coals for not knowing the answer. which if he did he would not have come here. He had just retrained and clearly needed a little help Only to be heckled by the 'Old Boys Brigade'.

Granted ,with experience comes knowledge.Not every one has both. So can i reccomend that the OBB's cool down a little and help others, which i'm led to belive is the main reason that this forum exists and why they joined in the first place

Signs of Bullying would you say?, hmm, a few on here. You don't get help if you tell the truth.

I could pick other topics
Hey Handyguy, hope there isn’t a cack-handed reference to me in there somewhere :LOL:

Oh brother, reap that ye shall sow; give good advice & you’ll generally be OK except for one or two trolls but give naff advice & ye shall be jumped upon by someone who knows, that is why this is one of the best forums you will come across. In the case I’m thinking of, you weren’t exactly polite either but I will agree plumbers/RGI's are the worse :LOL: ; my advice is to give good advice or grow a strong backbone! ;)

richard c
i was referring to other topics, also some i have been involved in. however i was sucked into the same trap as others ref the politeness, i do plead self defence for that tho :D and also apologise for my tone if i offended anyone.
Then realised the error of my ways and started this topic off to see if we can all start a fresh? I've learnt my lesson and maybe, just maybe, next time i won't use PVA :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back