teach a man to fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just want to mention that i have given some advice on this forum over the past few months and mostly, i admit not all, has been technically correct.But that is why it is an open forum, so that even i can be put right. I have no objections to this. This information is based on my knowledge and experience from personal findings, training and the university of life.

I have found, from reading other posts, that there is a handful of members that find it neccessary to be quite rude, arrogant even obnoxious. Just because they have posted thousands of posts/answers does not make them owners of this forum nor does it give them a right to belittle people.

One example is a chap who asked a simple question on plumbing and then he gets hauled over the coals for not knowing the answer. which if he did he would not have come here. He had just retrained and clearly needed a little help Only to be heckled by the 'Old Boys Brigade'.

Granted ,with experience comes knowledge.Not every one has both. So can i reccomend that the OBB's cool down a little and help others, which i'm led to belive is the main reason that this forum exists and why they joined in the first place

Sponsored Links
There's no need for anyone to be nasty or arrogant to a person, who comes on here looking for an answer to a question!!

Amen to that brother. Some take great delight in putting down people with rude,arrogant and nasty remarks that pass as advice.There are some time wasters who post for the sole purpose of spoiling the site but these are few and far between.I ignore all these and post where I can help the genuine requests.I don't know it all like some who post but try not to be rude.

I think that depending on the particular "area" or the forum you will find that you will get different responses, the plumbing and electrical are the worse (and there is reasoning behind that) the plastering and tiling forums are very plesant.

The issues in the plumbing and electrical forums stem from mainly two sources, either forum contributors have a difference in opinion or there is an issue between members when threads can get hi-jacked. The other reason is that some people are clearly not competent to be doing certain jobs and need bluntly telling, this will cause offence to the OP as they beleive that they can complete a task safely, the truth is they dont or can consider the "unknown unknowns" which are elements they hadn't even considered or are unaware require thinking about.

Sponsored Links
This could be the next Egypt :LOL: :evil:
I hear what your saying 45yrs and agree. unforunately it is the RGI's on here that are mostly the up their own. I have only become an RGI this yr so very much a newbie and would hope a site like this would help me out when necc. I have about four yrs gas experience on installs but not much on repairs/diagnosis. but now out there on me own.:cool:

To be serious, if you have a problem with a post then click the Alert button for it to be dealt with.

1john has a valid point and i agree wholeheartedly with him.

I do think however that if such a post came up the genuine helpers would either

A: Not respond at all
B: Post a quick "get in a tradesman, what your doing is illegal/ dangerous"

Simple short and polite. And if your response is that you are sick and tired of telling them, then resort to A.

If genuine request for help then help away.

If one of the OBB's came to my house with the attitude they have on here , i wouldn't give them the job.

Plumbers (gas bods) and sparks seem to think that the work they do is beyond the realms of ordinary folk. It's as if wires and pipes, being arranged in a certain way, is some kind of witchcraft and only those 'in the know' are capable of such an astounding feat.

It is no wonder that when an ordinary bloke posts queries as to how to do their sacred craft that he is subsequently shot down in flames.

Be warned, us ordinary people must stick to breaking rocks and licking windows and leave the cable and pipe fitting to the gods. :rolleyes:

I must be honest, from my own experience on here, I have found that the majority of the posters are a friendly and helpful bunch, with some humor thrown in as well!

It is true there should be no bellitlement to the questioneer.
There does seem to be more hastle between the ranks of those whom give the advice.
I.E My way is better than yours, the equipment I use is better.
Thats for the pros to discuss elsewhere not with the OP of the question.
Ashamed to say I fell into that trap a couple of times, hope I have grown out of it by now.

i Have had a few laughs on here also and the majority do outweigh the few that go on a ****ing contest with each other rather than assisting the OP.

I just hope that some of the odd ones actually read this and consider their future responses before typing anything.

as for witchcraft , dont meddle with what you no nothing about, i was taught not to play with things you cant see, that being gas and electric. but now i can play with gas cos i got an ology in it. :D

One example is a chap who asked a simple question on plumbing and then he gets hauled over the coals for not knowing the answer. which if he did he would not have come here. He had just retrained and clearly needed a little help Only to be heckled by the 'Old Boys Brigade'.

Firstly, I need to say that I agree with many points in your original post.

Secondly, can I guess that the quote above refers to an ex-squaddie from South Wales?

It only became apparent after several posts from him what the situation was. He started multiple topics re. elementary plumbing problems that he encountered during visits to customers' properties.

This site doesn't exist to supply short-course plumbers with ALL the knowledge to carry out each job that they land. Is it any surprise that he got some flak? He is asking experienced plumbers to give the knowledge to do jobs that the experienced plumber may have lost out on. No doubt, the experienced plumber is also being undercut on price. It's behaviour like this that goes on all over the country, and gets the trades a bad name? Also, isn't this a diy site?

I have the utmost respect for HM forces, and realise that it's not easy for a sqaddie to return to civvy st. He deserves credit for trying to do something for himself. He was advised that he wasn't going about things the right way, and may be better working for someone to start with.

Anyway, who do you think you are, with a paltry 120 posts, you nobody. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back