Teak windows

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

Looking at buying a house - bit of fixer upper we know. In the last 5 - 10 years the owner spent some serious money upgrading the houses original teak windows to be double glazed. I think a reasonable job was done, I am not sure how successful these "upgrades" ever are - but now the putty/caulk has dried out is coming away.

Whats my best course to remedy? we don't have £££s in the short-term to replace the Windows, looking for something to last 3 - 5 years. Surprisingly the wood itself appears to be fine, see attached photo.

Ray K

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Eek :unsure:

The linseed oil in putty is one of the worst things for breaking down the seals in double glazed units and causing them to fail/mist up.

Get some wooden beads and use dry glaze tape. The beads should cover the seal and aluminum spacer bar to protect them from the sun.

Ideally there should be a 5mm gap all around the glass for ventilation and some form of drainage.

B&Q would be fine, Try to get some hardwood beads and give them a few good coats of stain on all sides first if you want them to last.

Sponsored Links
On some of the windows there is very little room for the beading, only 3 or 4mm in some cases. Helpfully the window pane is silicon-ed into the frame making it impossible to take them outto make room for the beading without cracking the pane. :evil:

I am trying to minimize spend here - these windows only have to last a few years. Any alternatives to wooden beading that won't look terrible, I can investigate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back