Tebbit comments

Sponsored Links
Mc guiness fired the first shot that started bloody sunday. He was a keen foot terrorist back then.
Other news and seamus daly has just been charged with the omagh bombing. Police believe this time they have the evidence to nail him.

He was 26 years old when he snuffed out 29 lives.
And he'll likely walk away a free man because teflon tony decreed that evil doers should walk away unpunished.

Norcon,

I don't think there is any doubt about McGuiness's past.Debating that is not the point of the post.

Let's leave Omagh to one side for a minute, and Blair too. Please feel free to start another thread on it/them .

Do you have a view on my post ?

I think Lord Tebbit was justifiably venting.
I don't think any evidence exists that would link McGuiness to the bombing.
Magee only served 14 years for the atrocity.

Magee said..
"I deeply regret that anybody had to lose their lives, but at the time did the Tory ruling class expect to remain immune from what their frontline troops were doing to us?"

What were the frontline troops doing? I only ever saw checkpoints and seemed harmless.
The soldiers looked on everyone as being Irish.

Sponsored Links
I think Lord Tebbit was justifiably venting.
I don't think any evidence exists that would link McGuiness to the bombing.
Magee only served 14 years for the atrocity.

Magee said..
"I deeply regret that anybody had to lose their lives, but at the time did the Tory ruling class expect to remain immune from what their frontline troops were doing to us?"

What were the frontline troops doing? I only ever saw checkpoints and seemed harmless.
The soldiers looked on everyone as being Irish.

Thanks, Norcon.Your perspective is worth considering.
I think the link to McGuinness is that as IRA leader he had to be involved to some degree in the Brighton bombing. Let's say for the sake of argument Tebbit is justified in assigning some responsibility to him as a result.

(Magee is involved in reconciliation work at the moment, not just in a NI context, much of this with a victims's daughter)

While we probably both agree that Tebbit has a right to feel as he does, do you think he would be better advised not to call for someone to be shot in the back by terrorists?

In other words - does his interview make a lasting peace more or less likely - or does it matter at all what he says?

Should someone of his political experience look at the bigger picture with a longer view?

Mr Tebbitt (and many others) suffered considerable loss and is envenomed as a consequence, so reconciliation of any type is not in his agenda. Contrast Colin Parry and Gordon Wilson.
Gordon Wilson wished no harm upon his daughters murderers and forgave them and found peace within himself.

Lord Tebbit hopes McGuinness will be murdered and maybe he will.
Maybe he will die by the sword as he once lived by it.

It may not be wrong to feel murderous, but it's definitely wrong – maybe illegal - to publicly wish for, and implicitly encourage, a murder. All of this goes to show how very difficult reconciliation is.
Especially if you have lost loved ones.

While I understand (to a degree) his personal bitterness, would it be better for someone in his position in public life to try and help the Peace Process rather than hinder it?

By that. you mean the peace process that cravenly and dispicably gave in to murderers.

While I understand (to a degree) his personal bitterness, would it be better for someone in his position in public life to try and help the Peace Process rather than hinder it?

By that. you mean the peace process that cravenly and dispicably gave in to murderers.

What would be your solution?
What did previous approaches have over the Good Friday Agreement that was better?

What would be your solution?
What did previous approaches have over the Good Friday Agreement that was better?

They bombed and murdered their way to power, what exactly did you think of the peace process.

Mr Tebbitt (and many others) suffered considerable loss and is envenomed as a consequence, so reconciliation of any type is not in his agenda. Contrast Colin Parry and Gordon Wilson.
Gordon Wilson wished no harm upon his daughters murderers and forgave them and found peace within himself.

Lord Tebbit hopes McGuinness will be murdered and maybe he will.
Maybe he will die by the sword as he once lived by it.

It may not be wrong to feel murderous, but it's definitely wrong – maybe illegal - to publicly wish for, and implicitly encourage, a murder. All of this goes to show how very difficult reconciliation is.
Especially if you have lost loved ones.

I think you have put it very well, Norcon. I'm glad I got you to comment.
This is a very nuanced topic, and very hard to make black and white statements on individual cases. As you know, Tebbit apologised but I'm not sure anyone has the right to criticise how he feels, regardless of how unwise his public utterances were.

On the positive side ( and hard to find any in the conflict) the people you mention ,among others, show the power of the human spirit.

Cheers.

Remember the mantra spewing out of various politician mouth's about not negotiating with terrorist?

I don't supposed it makes an iota of a difference to any hardened republicans what Tebbitt say's.

Remember the mantra spewing out of various politician mouth's about not negotiating with terrorist?

I don't supposed it makes an iota of a difference to any hardened republicans what Tebbitt say's.

All British govts have had to communicate with terrorists, despite the public stance.

You may be right about the hardened republicans not caring - as I said in the OP, does it matter?

But perhaps the responsibility of those in the public eye is not to the hard liners, but to those in the middle or to those who could be swayed.

Sponsored Links
Back