Telephone extension - best route

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody.

Firstly, what an excellent forum! I hope I can give something back in other areas.

I have a house built in the 80's. It has a concrete floor (on the ground floor). The Telephone enters at the front of the house and I have a telephone socket next to my front door. I need the telephone socket to be in my living room, so at the moment, I use an extension cable that goes under the carpet to where I need it. However, I am getting a new carpet fitted soon and dont want it spoilt by a cable running under it.

The problem is that the route around the walls would need to cross the front door, go round a corner, then through the wall from the hall to the living room. The corner i mention is made by the front door and the other wall.

The walls are plasterboard. The cavity between the wall is about 6".
I have seen in other places of the house that the internal walls are 2 plasterboards with a 2CM thick cardboard mesh inside. Not ideal for chasing?
Can anyone tell me the best route to take this cable please?
Should I chase the floor out to get round the corner?
If i should take the skirting board off, how can I do this please?

thankyou in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would just run the phone wire under the carpet around the edges. The carpet wont spoil. It is more trouble than its worth trying to do it properly in a house like that.

"House like that" !! Yeh I know, big DIY disapointment. if I had floorboards, bricks and plaster I would have it done by now!!

Any advice on keeping the cable fixed in place?
At the mo, I have a few P-clips screwed on to the gripper rods.

just ram it under the skirting before you put the carpet in

Sponsored Links
A cable stapler is a good idea, but I doubt you will have one of those knocking about. I usually run cables between the grippers and the underlay - there's usually a small gap there. And carpet fitters wont mind this.

When the carpet's been in a good few months, it forms the shape of the room perfectly - the stretch that the carpet fitters apply becomes permenant, and you will be able to lift the edges to inspect the cables or whatever.

"House like that" does not have a gap under the skirting.

I still have to go through a wall anyway. otherwise the cable runs throught the lounge door opening.

crafty1289 said:
I usually run cables between the grippers and the underlay - there's usually a small gap there. And carpet fitters wont mind this.

thats where i ran my rear speaker cables, they are thicker than phone cable so i had to cut the underlay back a bit but you cant tell they are there now the carpet is on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back