Telephone junction box. Oops.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So over the weekend I was prepping our hall for decorating. We had all sorts of boxes on walls from old phone systems and door bells that no longer work so I thought I might as well remove these prior to sanding and painting the skirting board. That was ll fine. There was also an ancient Bakelite box on the wall with a wire hanging out the side. I had a good luck and decided to whip it off too. It was closely followed by cries of consternation from the OH "what's happened to the phone!!?".

Ooooooooops. :oops: :oops:

£99 for a BT engineer. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
lol the Bakelite was so old it shattered... and I'd already snipped the wires back too.

Is this a box where your Dropwire terminates and internal CW1308 starts from? If so post a pic, we'll identify your dropwire.. jelly crimp it together then install an 80A and we've just saved you £99.

Sponsored Links
Haha, what did they do? What ISP you with? You're very lucky to get an engineer out that quick & cheap. It's like £130 with TalkTalk :(

I'm with BT - it happened on a Saturday and they were out Tuesday afternoon. Would have been Tuesday morning if I'd been around. As I'd cut the wire back to the wood and filled by this point he located the wire in the porch and put the junction box there and then ran a new cable to the outlet. He also inspected all the other "surplus" outlets that have never been removed and removed them all for me. Very decent chap.

I'm with BT - it happened on a Saturday and they were out Tuesday afternoon. Would have been Tuesday morning if I'd been around. As I'd cut the wire back to the wood and filled by this point he located the wire in the porch and put the junction box there and then ran a new cable to the outlet. He also inspected all the other "surplus" outlets that have never been removed and removed them all for me. Very decent chap.

Spot on. You probably had your dropwire into your master socket directly then, now because it's shortened he's stuck you a BT 80A and then ran internal telephone cable into your master.

Good result. You could have saved yourself £99, but least it's done by BT OR themselves though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back