Telephone master - am I totally stupid?

thanks - but my problem (or my madness! is that this MASTER doesn't seem have a connector block!!!!

Sponsored Links
ELZ4742 said:
put the O/W in 2 & W/B in 5 on the left hand side terminals (top and bottom as you look at it from the back

a_bt_master_socket_and_ext_wiring.gif
You only need three wires pin 4 is not used in domestic situations

lookin - thanks, exactly. have you ever seen a master socket that doesn't have two screws? this one doesn't appear to come apart!

Sponsored Links
OK. so . . .

I push the two BT wires (orange + white) into 2 and 5 using IDC push down tool?

then the master socket should work with a phone connected to it?

What you have is an "old syle" master - BT don't fit these anymore.

The current BT master is two part (NTE5) allowing you to hard-wire (concealed) into the front part of the socket. What you have will only allow you plug in extensions so you will have visible telephone wiring.

BT do not normally use screwed connectors!

The connectors are the funny looking white pillars sticking up from the board - two of them each with three recesses in them - looking at your photograph there are even the remains of wires connected - you connect the wires as posted above by pushing them into the recess until the metal blades you will see in the recess cuts into the insulation and makes contact with the conductor (you can get a tool which does this but a small scredriver will do).

Bear in mind if BT don't have it connected at the other end it won't work - I presume you have an account with them for the line?

NOTE : Only BT are allowed to work on the pair coming into the property - you should only work downstream of the master - the reason they now fit the NTE5 as shown in the link above!

damn! so i either have to install an NTE5, or put a plug on the end of the cable I've run though the flat to the first extesion . . .

can you get the flat plugs that crimp or solder onto cable?

cheers

As mentioned, yours is the old version of a master socket. BT like the NTE type so that without tooling the inside cabling beyond
the master can be disconnected in the event of a fault.

The 3 screw do nothing on your picture they are simple retainers to hold the PCB to the socket face.

BT line pair requires connecting to 2 and 5.

Your picture shows poorly terminated wires, the wires should be terminated from middle of the jack towards the edge
of the jack face, you should not have one wire from inside to out, and another wire on the same connection from outside to in.

This will cause a loose termination. So please remove all the wires and punch down the BT line wiring 1st, then the wiring
off to other extension sockets, placing the cable cores from centre of socket to outer area of socket.

The socket shown will work as a master since it has the yellow 1.8uf capacitor in it. It doesn't have the lightning resistor
on it, which could be a problem if you live in a lightning zone.

image056.jpg

On the above picture is a socket with the lightning protection, on this socket (and yours) wire inside towards edges.

Should you need NTE advice, here's a very simple link that covers everything

http://www.readman.dsl.pipex.com/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

Chri5 - thanks - clarity! and a great link!

so you can push both the BT wires, and the wires off to the first extension into the same connectors?

in your opinion wouldi be better off aquiring a NTE5 and replacing this alltogether?

ta

Important point that seems to have been overlooked was the desire by the OP to avoid a £120 charge. That sounds like standard BT installation charge for new connection. If it is a new connection, by all means connect one socket, 2 & 5, to the 2 wires from exchange, to see if you get a dialling tone. If no tone then BT are going to charge the install fee to connect it so they will come out and fit an NTE5 as part of the install. If you do have a working line, one suggestion is to buy an NTE5 and fit it yourself. Yes it is against the rules, but if it done competently nobody would know. Just put NTE5 into Google. I have had good ones from Solwise, identical to BT unit but without their logo.

Les9000 - thats exactly it - it is not a new connection - and BT re-connected it yesterday - I can dial it and it rings . . . the issue is that all I have is bare wires coming into the flat (one black and containing 4 wires - the one I'm attemping to use), and the other with the same amount as internal wiring. i don't have a meter so can't test which one is live - I figured I could just connect teh master to both, see whihc one works and take it from there - until this confusion with the master socket came up!

maybe its that i don't have the wires pushed down far enough to make a connection.

or maybe its not the orange and white that are working - I thik the other two wires are green and black . . . .

TFP

From what I understand of your post, you have a BT line coming into your home on a droplead, and you are so reluctant to pay BT to reinstate your master socket you are attempting to do it yourself.

You cannot. This is BT's equipment and you should not be tampering with it.

Ask them to sort it out and they will probably put a linebox on the end of it. This will allow you to add extension wiring without having to disturb BT's connection to the socket.

theflyingpig said:
Chri5 - thanks - clarity! and a great link!

so you can push both the BT wires, and the wires off to the first extension into the same connectors?

in your opinion would i be better off acquiring a NTE5 and replacing this altogether?

ta

Yes. so on the master socket, you have 2 wires from the outside world, terminated on 2 and 5.

Your wiring to the next socket will terminate on 2,5 AND 3. This is then repeated throughout the daisy chain, with the same colours going to the same terminations in each subsequent socket. Normal colours per post with the socket wiring shown.

If you need to confirm which of the external cable wires are holding the line, here's a trick!

Get wire's and with cutters bare 1/4 of an inch of the conductor wire.

Spit a wee' blob of saliva on to thumb.

Going through each combination pair of wires hold the pair 1/8 of an inch apart and in the spit.
The live pair, -50v and earth will show themselves up due to bubbling of the spit (due to charge / cct arcing across spittle)- this was standard practice at BT when I was there and you won't get hurt.

A small jolt if the line rings during 'test' at absolute worse :LOL: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back