Telephone outdoor ringer questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came across an outdoor ringer (bell type) that obviousley operated when the phone rang inside. Please excuse my utter lack of Telephone technical info. The "ringer" has two small cores coming from it where it has been taken of the wall.

How do I test the "ringer" without connecting it in some way to a phone network.

Sponsored Links
If it takes a supply off the phone line and if my memory serves me correctly you need to put 75vac into it to test it.

Any chance of a couple of pics?

without connecting to a phoneline is the awkward bit. For a bell you need about 70 volts at 16-25 Hz, they usually will not resonate properly on 50 Hz.

the easy way is to connect it to a phoneline (pins 3 and 5 of a phone socket - you must have a ringing capacitor in the master socket. or ADSL filter) and phone it.

Heres a couple of pics, of the bell......I was going to use it as an alarm for my shed, but needing about 70 volts at 16-25 Hz is going to get complicated

bell1.jpg
bell2.jpg
bell3.jpg

Sponsored Links
I was going to use it as an alarm for my shed, but needing about 70 volts at 16-25 Hz is going to get complicated

Yeah, that's not really going to work. They are very different beasts I'm afraid. The parts to make a ringer are gonna cost you more than buying a proper SAB module.

If you want a shed alarm you can remote the new era home smart systems with a mains power relay for the shed sensors to boost the wifi range.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back