Telephone Socket Change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have changed all the switches and plug sockets in my house and now want to change the telephone socket.

Is it going to be possible to swap the old socket in white which i believe is a NTE5 socket, with the new silver flat plate one which is also pictured.

I have also added a pic of the back of the new socket.

Any info would be great.

Sponsored Links
You're not supposed to tamper with the incomming side of the NTE5 point... if you do and **** it up... expect a big big from the telco to fix it!

If you want to go ahead regardless, then you'll need to make sure the point you change it to is of the master type, otherwise your telephones will not ring!

Dammit,

I just looked on the packaging and it says it is a secondary telephone output.
Which is no good right??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
connections 2 and 5 are only ones used.

If you have extension sockets the terminal 3 will be linked between the sockets only.

That is correct, the incomming line needs to go to a master socket (preferably an NTE5 type one), as the master contains a few descrete components to derive the ring signal (and probably very basic overvolatage protection to protect against lighting stikes, etc)

The secondary points are what you use for extensions you wire off the master.

If the cable to the master is long enough... should you not relocate it out the way in another room and run an extension point to this room that you wise to use you crome plate in

(still has the issue of fiddling with the incomming side, but as long as you don't break it, I don't think anyone will really care!)

I thought the resistor was in the master, so they could test the line from the exchange.

I thought the resistor was in the master, so they could test the line from the exchange.

The resistor is part of the test circuit. The capacitor in the master socket or NTE5 also takes part.
If a line test doesn't 'see' the right bits on the end of the line, it may lead to an engineer arriving on your doorstep in response to a fault report not generated by yourself, but you could end up with the bill, even if your telephone installation doesn't need those components.

Plan A: Could you recess the existing NTE5 back box deeper into the wall and then just cable the socket you want to the extension terminals and fix it over the top?

You'd have to drill through the plug-in faceplate to take (longer) screws for the brushed steel one, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Plan B: It's not quite a match for the screwless ones you've chosen, but it's a lot closer than the standard plastic jobbie:

It doesn't have the plug-in faceplate, so if ever you get problems you'll have to put the BT NTE5 back before the engineer arrives, but it is a master.

General useful tip for ever doing anything with phone wiring - invest in a proper IDC punchdown tool - don't use those horrible disposable plastic ones...

GPT107.JPG

The BT master is the responsibility of the network up to that point just as your electric meter is. Changing this socket is at your own risk as it does not have the test point needed.

Also there lies a problem whereby if you get it wrong you could blow the fuse at the exchange.

Looking at the terminals as well I would say it is non compliant (anything that is connected to a BT line has to be to a certain BSEN number dont ask me it though at the moment.

John

The BT master is the responsibility of the network up to that point just as your electric meter is. Changing this socket is at your own risk as it does not have the test point needed.

Also there lies a problem whereby if you get it wrong you could blow the fuse at the exchange.

Looking at the terminals as well I would say it is non compliant (anything that is connected to a BT line has to be to a certain BSEN number dont ask me it though at the moment.

John

About the only thing you could possibly to is short the A & B terminals, this will not "blow" anything at the exhange. In 18 years i've never heard of anyone blowing anything at the exchange by shorting the A & B wires let alone anything else. Mains voltage perhaps??

Has protection and the line runs at 50 volts. there are various protection mechanisms at the exchange and if a person is not careful then these protection methods can operate. I have been there and done that also the plates by a matter of course, should be earthed to a BT earth. You can get a bit of a jolt if you touch the incoming BT line and metal. It wont kill you or anything but it is not nice.
I have come across many times this has happened as people do it DIY are not warned of the risks and before they know it the line is dead.

If this happens best thing is to state that you undid the socket to decorate and your phone went dead but make sure that inside the cable looks as though it could have touched and has not been terminated properly naughty I know but I have seen some engineers terminals and if they rush it can also legitmatley happen.

John

Has protection and the line runs at 50 volts. there are various protection mechanisms at the exchange and if a person is not careful then these protection methods can operate. I have been there and done that also the plates by a matter of course, should be earthed to a BT earth. You can get a bit of a jolt if you touch the incoming BT line and metal. It wont kill you or anything but it is not nice.
I have come across many times this has happened as people do it DIY are not warned of the risks and before they know it the line is dead.

If this happens best thing is to state that you undid the socket to decorate and your phone went dead but make sure that inside the cable looks as though it could have touched and has not been terminated properly naughty I know but I have seen some engineers terminals and if they rush it can also legitmatley happen.

John

You'll have a job finding a "BT earth" on a residential install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back