telephone, tidying up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorted out electrics in bedroom, now onto the next job

want to sort out telephone sockets in the house, at the moment there is one in the lounge, and one in the bedroom. The bedroom is fed from an extension plug from the lounge. Thought it would be easy to add another line up to the computer room, ready for broadband....

looked at the master socket - it's not one of the usual types with the little box at the bottom to take off. It looks like this

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/52a_gpo.jpg

There are only 2 wires connected from outside - blue and orange, the other 2 wires (green and brown) are not connected. The wire coming out is the newer style wire that i'm used to, but is only connected to 2 points.

The phone works ok at the moment by the way. If a bit crackly sometimes.

Question is, can I just take all my lines from this box in a series, like a radial circuit?

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
Personally I would replace that with an NTE5 master and wire from there. http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

Seeing one of those takes me back to when I was a child, granny used to have one for her Trim phone, remember those!. :p

Agreed, but get BT to do it for free- generate a fault (wiggle one of the wires til it breaks), then they will come out and replace with a new socket.

so I could fit one of these onto the end of the cable coming from this old looking box? Or do you mean do away with this old thing and put a NTE5 in it's place?

why do BT insist BT do it? - it's 2 wires going into 2 screws. How hard can that be?

Sponsored Links
nobackwheel said:
so I could fit one of these onto the end of the cable coming from this old looking box? Or do you mean do away with this old thing and put a NTE5 in it's place?

better to replace it.

why do BT insist BT do it? - it's 2 wires going into 2 screws. How hard can that be?

Cos it's their property, and they have to support it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back