Telephones not ringing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Its not strictly an electrical question but hopefully someone might know.

My Fathers telephone wont ring in, he at first thought it was his old phone so bought a new one and it has the same problem. Ive also tried my own phone and still no ring in, it works fine for calling out.

He's had BT check the line and they say its fine, its a fault in the house. So this morning i replaced the master telephone point with a new one(only one point in the whole house) and it still doesnt work. :confused:

He's got a 7core cable entering the house straight from the pole in the road,no joint box on the house just straight in.the colours are,

orange--------term 5
white----------term 2
green----------not connected
black-----------not connected
and three reds that are cut too short to go anywhere.

Anyone have any ideas????? thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
This happens if a Slave socket is used in the place of a Master socket.

Is there a capacitor in the socket you have replaced - the master has one and slaves don't - this is pert of the ringing circuitry

He's never changed the socket himself, its always been a master, one day it just stopped ringing!

I cant think what else it can be !

If BT have to come back it then becomes chargeable :(

Sponsored Links
Double check your connections are sound - did you use the plastic termination tool or does the socket have screw terminals?

I double checked them and re-terminated them 3 times with my rs punchdown tool.

I can only think thats its not a problem in the house, but surely the BT guy could tell if it was ringing or not.

well if you are sure the line is across 2 & 5 and the phone works why not get another master socket?

He did buy a new master breezer ;) Suppose that could be bust you never know....

You should forget BT....I can sell you this setup for cheap - very reliable - never let me down....

tin_can_phone.jpg

Looks like the last resort other than calling BT out.

I know one thing though i wont be using Senate. Neweys was shut this morning and they charged me £6 for a cash sale :eek:

I'll go back tommorow and try the one from my house.

Was it definetaly orange and white used? Wouldn't be the first time non standard colours were used.....could be a combination of faulty original master then wrong cables when you changed it over?

my pc's running soooooo slow.

It was definetaly reconnected as it was to start with. The two other core colours green and black were just laying in the back box. They didnt look like theyd been connected.

But now im thinking, this is a long shot, what if they had both been doubled up in the terminals with the orange and white. and both come loose :confused:

if-in-doubt-short-it-out said:
my pc's running soooooo slow.
http://www.avast.com/
http://www.safer-networking.org/

It was definetaly reconnected as it was to start with. The two other core colours green and black were just laying in the back box. They didnt look like theyd been connected.

But now im thinking, this is a long shot, what if they had both been doubled up in the terminals with the orange and white. and both come loose :confused:

Orange and White are the standard so very unlikely they were doubled up - but I guess no harm in trying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back