Telephones not ringing

you have tried a different phone right?

put the original socket back, call BT and tell them it doesnt work with several different phones, the master socket and everything before it are thier responsibility.

Sponsored Links
If it is the only socket connected, and it is a master, and you get dial tone, and the phone works in another socket......dodgy master socket.

Never seen an exchange line present dial tone, and no ringing.

Are you able to answer the phone and accept the incomming call when you dial in??

Hi, I popped back over my Dads this morning with the master socket from my house to try. Same thing no ringing when called!!

Its now been connected with 3 master sockets and ive tried 3 phones.

If you pick the phone up it has a dial tone, you can call out on it as usual but it just wont ring :mad: . Also when you call it from my mobile its silent but if you pick the handset up it will connect.

Theres no way it can be a fault in the house.BT will have to come back.

At least one good thing has come from this, my computer is now running faster. Thanks jinj :)

just make sure the master thats fitted when BT arrive is a BT branded one or they will almost certainly blame it (you aren't supposed to touch the master socket apart from the removable lower cover btw).

BT are notorious for blaming faults on customers when they are really in thier network. Its vital that the master socket is a BT one, any extentions are connected in the approved way (plug in or bottom panel of a NTE5) and that there is nothing BT might recognise as not thiers before the master socket. Otherwise you can end up out a lot of cash while they put your work "right" before they will fix the real fault.

Sponsored Links
Did you get it sorted ???
Sounds to me like a h/r dis or line card problem.
When you ring from a mobile does it keep ringing , or does it just ring a few times then stop , if so this is ring trip and can be caused by a H/R dis , this would not be picked up by the remote test system that is used to test your line.

Does the dropwire from the pole to the house go through any tress ?? if so it could have rubbed through in 1 of the trees.
The cable is not a 7 core , the 3 red cables are strengtherners which are used to keep the wire up when it crosses from the pole and not sag.
Orange / White is pair 1 , and Green Black is pair 2 (only used if you have a 2nd line )

BTW, to everyone... you wont be calling out BT , BT are the service provider , the owners of the network from the exchange out are Openreach , and it will be an Openreach engineer who comes out. Similar to Transco for Brit gas.

Openreach work for all service providers .

openreach are part of BT aren't they (though that may change later like it did with transco)

and i bet the master sockets they fit still have the BT logo on.

I wish I could magic my line tester over to you. That'd sort it out!

Unfortunately, the company has stopped making them, so you can't buy them anymore.

Well, everybody's trying to be soooo helpful, I thought I'd try a bit of non-help...

[Dons coat]

Slightly modified from another forum - may not be of actual use handy to know :)

Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test)

You should hear 'Quiet Line Test' and then silence, there should be no pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing etc. If there is noise on the line, make sure it's not your phones connection to the socket (wiggle it about a bit) and that you are using the master socket.

Dial the same line test number as the quiet line test (17070). Then press option 3 (fast test) then press option 1 (to say you are authorised, don't worry about 'not being officially authorised'). The press option 2 (ring back test). Then put the phone down.

Did you get it sorted ???
Sounds to me like a h/r dis or line card problem.
When you ring from a mobile does it keep ringing , or does it just ring a few times then stop , if so this is ring trip and can be caused by a H/R dis , this would not be picked up by the remote test system that is used to test your line.

When i ring from my mobile it just keeps ringing, without ringing :confused:

Does the dropwire from the pole to the house go through any tress ??

No, straight to the house from a pole approx 35/40 metres away.

Its still not bloody ringing, He booked an engineer to come out on saturday last monday.They said they could get someone out between 1pm and 6pm. Then at 5pm tonight BT rings my mobile to tell me no one is going and do I want to arrange another appointment :eek:

When you ring from your mobile and you get ringing tone but no ring at the telephone, have you tried pickling up the telephone to see if you can answer the call? If you can pick up the call this way it means your ringing circuit is faulty, has to be phone or master at fault. If you can't pick up the call this way, try calling the mobile back from the 'faulty' line and see what number comes up, it's probably the wrong one which means BT have crossed the line with another.

blondini said:
When you ring from your mobile and you get ringing tone but no ring at the telephone, have you tried pickling up the telephone to see if you can answer the call?

if-in-doubt-short-it-out said:
. Also when you call it from my mobile its silent but if you pick the handset up it will connect.

i think its safe to say yes hes done that

Yes, he did say Also when you call it from my mobile its silent but if you pick the handset up it will connect. :oops:

In which case you could put a meter across the incoming pair to check if ringing current is being received. It's up to around 80v AC. (Standing voltage is up to around 50v DC when the line is idle.
If it's not there it's an exchange fault, if it is there and the phone has been proved ok on another line, it's got to be a faulty master socket, or faulty extension wiring shorting the ringer circuit.
In this case it does look like an exchange fault since there's no extension wiring connected and the master & phone appear to have been proved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back