Television sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a new build are the rules for positioning tv point wallplates the same as sockets in regards to minimum height and distance from room corners?

Sponsored Links
The direct answer to your specific question is yes.

However, I assume you would like to place some television sockets elsewhere and if you have moved in I would say it is not, technically, a 'new-build' anymore. Therefore you can put them where you want.

Thanks for the reply, Sorry for the lack of detail in my post.

I am building a new house and was hoping to hide all the sockets for the tv's etc behind the tv. It would be a lot easier if I could put the aerial sockets in the 300mm gap beween the power sockets and the corner of the room.

I can't see anywhere in the regulations where it states a distance from the corner for socket outlets.

Have you a specific regulation or is it a recommendation from some other body?

Even if it were not forbidden, I wouldn't place them within 150mm of corner as this is considered the 'safe' zone for power cables and wouldn't look good.

Sponsored Links
No I am just going on what my spark told me.

As said before they will be hidden behind the TV and so appearance does not matter. There will not be any power cables in that area as they will be running vertically from the adjacent power sockets.

Thanks again for your input

Scottish building regs (domestic technical handbook) 2010. Text hasn't changed since last version 2005:

"Outlets and controls of electrical fixtures and systems should be positioned at
least 350 mm from any internal corner, projecting wall or similar obstruction
and, unless the need for a higher location can be demonstrated, not more
than 1.2 m above floor level. This would include fixtures such as sockets,
switches, fire alarm call points and timer controls or programmers. Within
this height range:
• light switches should be positioned at a height of between 900 mm and
1.1 m above floor level;
• standard switched or unswitched socket outlets and outlets for other
services such as telephone or television should be positioned at least
400 mm above floor level. Above an obstruction, such as a worktop,
fixtures should be at least 150 mm above the projecting surface.
Where socket outlets are concealed, such as to the rear of white goods in a
kitchen, separate switching should be provided in an accessible position, to
allow appliances to be isolated."

The Scottish regulations seem far better than ours in Wales. We use the English Part M regulation although since not published in Welsh technically not a legal document in Wales.

In out Part M only public buildings have the corner restriction and heights in public buildings differ from domestic dwellings. Seems arms stretch or shrink by 50mm when one goes into a domestic dwelling!

In spite of reference to new build here in Part M that does not come up and it seems to be a rule made up by building control rather than part of the law.

It does in Part M refer to common sense and although you should fit sockets at min 400mm or 450mm according to building type you can still fit floor mounted sockets which are of course zero mm from floor.

Items like wall thermostats which require visual and well as manual intervention are impossible to mount and comply as the max for manual is the min for visual.

I have found as long as one can give good reason why something does not comply then the building inspector will accept it.

I had some sockets which were fitted in the space left for the bed head of a double bed and these were mounted low so the bed would go over them so would no smash the sockets when the bed was moved away and back to the wall. Once it was explained to mount to comply with Part M would be against 522.6 Impact (AG) in BS7671:2008 and he agreed to the height.

They are not in the main unreasonable and if you give good reason then likely will be permitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back