Socket Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm currently marking out switch and socket locations for the electrician.

I'm happy with the switch and sockets heights but I can't decide on the socket Distance from doors or wall corners.

What are peoples opinions on what looks best? I'm thinking 200mm from an unplastered corner looks OK?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's on the hinge side, I'd say 500mm min. Preferably the width of the door plus a bit, so you can see and access it even when the door is fully open.

If it's on the opening side, I'd say about twice the width of the door otherwise people will sooner or later trip over the flex.

socket Distance from doors or wall corners.

In line with window edges so they are hidden by long curtains, generally at least 600mm from corners, 300 or so from opening edge of doors for easy hoovering. Be aware that back to back sockets make for easier wiring and cost savings.

It is all laid out in the Part M building regulations not lower than 450 not higher than 1200 or centre line 700 ~ 1000 and consumer unit 1350 ~ 1450 (in habitable rooms) but it also suggests in early versions 350 mm from corners, this it seems is to allow wheel chair access, which is not really the case, I would say since furniture tends to be set lengths 100, 200, 300 wide more important in real life is to have the socket where it can be used after furniture is installed. So if a wall is 1050 mm long between corner and door opening you have 50 mm to put the socket in, if at 450 high other wise it needs to be above the furniture finish level. However some times we don't want to see the socket, so in a bedroom for example being just 100 mm high where the bed head will be means low enough not to be damaged with bed head and available for a standard light which will always be left plugged in. OK not in a new house regulations will not allow it.

I have a bank of 4 sockets in corner of room 350 mm away from corner and have needed to cut an access hole in the back of cupboard to get at them, forget regulations sockets are no good if furniture will be in the way. I also have some sockets which the open door cover, this is actually good as no furniture is ever placed to stop door opening so can always use the sockets.

Sponsored Links
as time goes by, people will become increasingly accustomed to the new heights, and low sockets will be seen as odd and awkward.

as time goes by, people will become increasingly accustomed to the new heights ....
I'm sure that's true. People inevitably 'become increasingly accustomed" to any change, whether that be welcome or unwelcome change.
... and low sockets will be seen as odd and awkward.
Maybe, but at least some of them may continue to feel that "odd and awkward" is an acceptable price for achieving what they personally regard as an aesthetically preferable arrangement.

Kind Regards, John

1. People inevitably 'become increasingly accustomed" to any change, whether that be welcome or unwelcome change.
  2. Maybe, but at least some of them may continue to feel that "odd and awkward" is an acceptable price for achieving what they personally regard as an aesthetically preferable arrangement.
Bit of a conflict there.

If 1 is true (i.e. the change is unwelcome) then 2 is false - they are not expressing a preference based on aesthetics, they are simply trying to reject the change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back