Moving cables

Hi,
I used B and Q circular connector for the power cable, but it stripped while tightening, so I'll take it back, and use another mthod :(
C.

Sponsored Links
I thought so.
Note that, you cannot use screw terminals if the junction will not be accessible.
You need a “maintenance free” JB, such as the Ashley, or Wago connectors in a Wago box.

Sponsored Links
I thought so.
Note that, you cannot use screw terminals if the junction will not be accessible.
You need a “maintenance free” JB, such as the Ashley, or Wago connectors in a Wago box.
Hi T,
Ah, good. I need to connect the power and the light switch, is there a box for both together?
I understand about screw connections not being perfect in the long term. Is it posible to connect cables by soldering and heat shrink?
C.

Different circuits should really be in separate boxes, probably cheaper that way. And yes, solder and heat shrink is an acceptable method. Bear in mind that you must over sleeve the whole joint.

Different circuits should really be in separate boxes, probably cheaper that way. And yes, solder and heat shrink is an acceptable method. Bear in mind that you must over sleeve the whole joint.
Hi T,
Good. I ordered some heat shrink for making batteries out of vape cells, I pick up (what a waste, and bad for the enviroment), which should be here soon. This will cover the whole thing.
I had to solder the bad connections temprarily in the stripped B and Q terminals.
I had thought of soldering, and plan to stagger all of the solder so they don't match in the connection.

An aside: In the 1950s, my elder brother had a wooden handled soldering iron with a 20mm wide copper tip, at the widest part. He died young after being at Christmas island for the 'H' bomb tests. I use that for these jobs and think of him each time.
C.

Last edited:
Hi,
All done!
When I switched all the power back on, the light didn't come on, and I couldn't think what was wrong, then I moved the bulb in the holder, and it came on :)
Thanks all.
C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back