Fitting new light and switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm converting an outside toilet to inside, and need to add a light plus switch. Now I have to fit and connect the fittings.

Here's a photo of the possibilities.

The electrician has left me the live wire for this, just above the photo. The wire to the socket runs vertically upwards. One possibility is to drill through to the toilet, and bring it down the wall just inside the door. If I do that, can I just clip the switch wire to the wall and plasterboard over it?

Any suggestions please?

Camerart

Attachments

• Toilet light.jpg
    Toilet light.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 143
Sponsored Links
The photo tells us nothing about the lighting circuit.

If you want to use a socket circuit for lights you'll need to fuse it down using an FCU - could use a switched one as the light switch if you want.

You'll find info on where concealed cables may go here: [wiki]electrics%3Awalls[/wiki]

Sponsored Links
The photo tells us nothing about the lighting circuit.

If you want to use a socket circuit for lights you'll need to fuse it down using an FCU - could use a switched one as the light switch if you want.

You'll find info on where concealed cables may go here: [wiki]electrics%3Awalls[/wiki]

Hi,

As I said, the electrician left me the lighting cable, after re-wiring the house, so all I have to do is route it and fit the switch and light fitting.

C.

The simplest solution would be to run the lighting circuit 'live' cable LNE through a double pole pull switch
like one of these http://www.electrical2go.co.uk/16a-...lnRkwhiSxD-Ep2WmhMapaUQRSnrCN1KP_oaAlTO8P8HAQ
and onto the ceiling rose. Saves having to channel down the walls to a rocker switch.

The walls are bare at the moment (No plaster) do I have to channel the walls or can I just nail the cable to the wall and plasterboard over it? I prefer the rocker switch to the pull switch. The ceiling is low, so I will probably fit a wall light socket.

C.

You don't need to chase the walls - assuming the plaster is going to be deep enough to bury the cable

More expensive.

Fewer choices.

Tend to be larger.

Tend to be heavier in operation.

Unnecessary.

You don't need to chase the walls - assuming the plaster is going to be deep enough to bury the cable

I've routed the wire through the ceiling and into the toilet, ready for fixing.

Thanks,

C.

The walls are bare at the moment (No plaster) do I have to channel the walls or can I just nail the cable to the wall and plasterboard over it?

So is the finished wall going to be plasterboard then an air gap then the bricks?

Right, just make sure you run the cable vertically down to the switch (so that it's in the allowed zone), fix it as you wish and plasterboard over it.

Unless anyone who knows more than me disagrees!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back