Add a new light fitting from a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Is it possible to add a new light fitting and power it from just an existing switch. I don't have access to any of the wires in the ceiling that the current switch operates. The light switch is near to where I would like the new light fitted so I was hoping to power it directly from there. I am happy for this switch to operate the current light and new proposed light. Just wanted to know if it was possible before getting an electrician in.

Any advise is welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
It all depends if you have a neutral at your switch. Best way to find out is to take the front off (with the power off) and take a peek. If there's just two cables that go into the switch, no cigar, if you have two into the switch then two (black/blue) in a connector block you are more than likely in luck

There are three wires plus an earth. There are what looks like two browns and a black wire. One of the brown wires and the black has some sleeving over it probably to show that it's a switched live. Would one of these three wires be the neutral?

The set up is 2 way switch (3 wire system). The neutral in this case is the switched live is that correct?

Sponsored Links
I doubt you have a neutral at this switch. You are describing strappers on a two way switch.

Are any of the conductors joined in a connector block, or do they all go to the switch?

Colours are irrelevant - the electricity doesn't care.

You'll have more success if you spend a bit of time learning how it all works, and be safer - trying to do electrical work by a combination of guessing and following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without truly understanding why is a very bad idea.

Yea sounds very much like strappers. If you check the other place you can switch these same lights, there may be a neutral there - you would have to sacrifice the original light switch you posted about and only be able to switch it at the other postion, and rejig some cables but if there's a neutral at the other switch, it could be done.

If your lights are definitely wired as per that diagram, then no, you cannot add another light from either of those switches.

Your neutral, that you need to add another light, is looped in at the light fitting not at the switch, so if you propose to use the switch conductors only, you are not going to be able to do what you wish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back