Moving cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm altering my kitchen, and knocked down a wall that had a light switch and a power socket on it.

Looking at the photo posted, I hope to have the French door as my backdoor instead of the one to the left, and want the best place to move the switch and socket to.

There is a water pipe coming down the wall next to the existing back door, and I imagine that it isn't wise to place cables near it, which leaves the corner of the room. Can I put both switch and socket in that corner?

Merry Christmas
Camerart.
Wiring_1.jpg

Sponsored Links
The best place for a switch and a socket is where you want them to be. It's up to you.

The water pipe doesn't really affect matters.
Hi E,
Ok, if I piut them next to the water pipe, is there a regulation distance from the door, pipe or each other?
C

Sponsored Links
As @EFLImpudence says, use three core and earth for the drop, and deep boxes, as to if extra core used for two way lighting or neutral can be changed to suit future needs. But smart switches need deeper boxes.
Hi E,
All I'm doing is moving the cables, with extensions through connection boxes, so I'll follow how they are at the moment.
C

As a person of 1.85m guess what my answer is.
Hi S,
I re-measured and re-considered! Once the top of the frame is considered, it's too low, so it looks like the old door stays, and the rest windows.

I'll bring down the switch near to the door, and the socket between the switch cable and copper pipe.
Is this ok?
C.

Bear in mind cable runs should only be vertical or horizontal to the accessory to which it is connected.

Bear in mind cable runs should only be vertical or horizontal to the accessory to which it is connected.
Hi E,
The socket is wired up, but won't be fixed till the room has been insulated, and will be horizontal and vertical, thanks.
C

you'll probably need a support beam of some sort above the door too.
Hi T,
I presume you mean above the french door, which after seeing how low it will be, will now be windows?
Yes, I've been juggling trying to get a catnic lintel under the wall plate to be higher, but it can'r be done, so a conventional lintel will do.
C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back