Socket/Switch locations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I am currently doing lots of chasing for flush sockets and the wiring, I have read that they should be placed min 450 above floor and max 1200 above floor and 350 from corners. Does this mean centres or edges ie bottom of socket min 450, and does the 350 from corners apply to edges like distance from doors for switches?

Thank you for any advice

phil

Sponsored Links
Bottom of sockets 450mm above finished floor level.

Top of switches 1200mm above FFL.

Basically all accesories sited inbetween the 450mm - 1200mm zone.

I am not sure about the 350mm from corners. I have not seen that specified before

But these figures, Part M, according to the IEE guide to BR's, only apply to new build or refurbishment.

Ok thanks for that RF,

I must have got my info muddled up regarding the corners.

Sponsored Links
securespark,

Thanks for the reply, I see that these regulations are not required for a rewire of old house. But i dont mind the extra chasing so i thought i might as well just do it anyway.

Regarding the corners i found this thread on the forum //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93402

It would seem that the 350mm rule from corners does not apply to dwellings.

I had already chased for a socket 110mm from the corner so i guess this will be ok ?

Be aware that if you are above average height, then you might find 1200mm for a lightswitch unnaturally low!

I know that when I go to put a light on at work, I can never find the switch and when I get the torch out, find that its miles lower than I was looking for it at!

Just looking for an example of what seems right... switch in this room is 1.6m from floor to the top edge and that seems about right to me (I'm 6'4", so a bit taller than average, but by no means a giant!)

Hi Adam

Yeah i just measured 1200 from floor for the light switch, it does seem low and im only 5'8". The existing switch is 1350 and seems about right for me. I guess i have the luxury of placing it where i like (within reason) as its an old house.

Phil

4 foot 6 inch for switches seemed to be the norm a few years back, when I learnt.

1200mm for switches is just perfect for me!!

Standing at a dizzy 5' 6 and 1 quarter inches. :(

Only problem is I find I need a hop up nearly all the time!! Thinking of

buying plasters stilts, and thats just for getting served at the pub ;)

we will all get used to the standard heights, and then we will find anything else looks odd.

We will also (even Adam ;) ) get used to putting our hand out at the correct height, without needing to look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back