Location of sockets/switches (scottish regs)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title suggests ... i am in scotland and am wondering. I am aware of the new build regulations 350mm from any corner ..... 450mm min height for a socket and 1200 max height for a lightswitch.

My question is, i am currently renovating (right back to brick walls) do i have to comply with these regs or could i for instance have the light switches slightly higher at approx 1350mm and the sockets slightly lower at approx 300mm?

Sponsored Links
The socket heights are to do with disabled access (Building Regs Part M)

Usually the socket heights in renovations do not matter as the rest of Part M cant be complied with (ramps, wide doors etc). The socket heights only apply to new build where all of the disabled stuff is included.

To be absolutely sure you should check with your local building control. They sometimes have their own local interpretation of regs.... :rolleyes:

Do you require a building warrant for any of the works?
(are you doing works that may require a warrant - such as moving /altering walls, loft conversion, extension)

If the answer is yes then you may require to comply to the disabled thing.

Generally all work (alterations requirng a warrant) should be disabled adapted. Is you have no level access (steps front and back) you may not be required to.

Check with your local building standards (email or letter) and then you will get a reply in writing for your records.

http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/tech_handbooks/th_pdf_2008/domestic/chapters/Section_4_Domestic_2008.pdf

Outlets and controls of electrical fixtures and systems should be positioned at
least 350 mm from any internal corner, projecting wall or similar obstruction
and, unless the need for a higher location can be demonstrated, not more
than 1.2 m above floor level. This would include fixtures such as sockets,
switches, fire alarm call points and timer controls or programmers. Within
this height range:
• light switches should be positioned at a height of between 900 mm and
1.1 m above floor level.
• standard switched or unswitched socket outlets and outlets for other
services such as telephone or television should be positioned at least 400
mm above floor level. Above an obstruction, such as a worktop, fixtures
should be at least 150 mm above the projecting surface.
Where socket outlets are concealed, such as to the rear of white goods in a
kitchen , separate switching should be provided in an accessible position, to
allow appliances to be isolated.
domestic | safety | danger from accidents | 2007
4.8.5 — 4.8.5

Scots LBO's are rigid.

Did 6 weeks with a Select guy as the designer in Edinburgh in May / June.

Despite us both leaning on the LBO and asking for him to seek further advice via the office he would not give way on the new rules.

So a 7 room bungalow that had 3 rooms added to the ground floor and 5 upstairs now has all the new rooms set at new build heights and the old rooms at old heights.

Stupid people, but they carry the completion and under warrant it does seem to be 'do as your told'.

Funny thing was that the CU was replaced and they didn't mind the CU being outside the M reg requirement. They agreed that in a house with 4 children under 6 it wasn't good to have a CU at 1100mm from the floor in an accessable position :eek:

Sponsored Links
This isn't the way I have found

The electrical certificates and the electrical installation have to be accepted as correct by Building Standards when accompanied by a certificate of construction. This is in the Building Scotland act. The BCO has no control over the electrial installation and can guide the electrician, but if the electricain is a COC then the word is gospel

If the BCO guy objects to things like socket heights then there is a SELECT complaints procedure.

The BCO has no control over the electrial installation and can guide the electrician, but if the electrician is a COC then the word is gospel

If the BCO guy objects to things like socket heights then there is a SELECT complaints procedure.

I hope your not implying anything :eek:

As I mentioned the BCO Edinburgh (East Lothian ?) would not give sanction for the sockets / switches to remain at existing height (about 200mm sockets, 1350mm lights) they insisted the new bits of the building (3 downstairs rooms, 2 halls and 5 rooms 1st floor) were done in keeping with Part M.

Part M isn't an electrical reg, it's a building reg and they (the BCO) are in charge of enforcement of building regs.

The jobs is finished, dead, signed and sealed- the Select designer electrician was a large Co with 10+ vans / teams and he stated that it was a common issue and one that he had NOT been able to circumnavigate.

Had a discussion with my local BCO on an issue.

I phoned SELECT to check what I was intending to do was OK, and was inforrmed with self certification BCO are legally required to pass electrical work deemed competent by a certifier of construction. If they are not happy there is a complaints procedure for them to follow
This is the point of self certification - the buck is completely passed to the contractor and if something is wrong they take the flack.

As long as the contractor carries out their work to the standards in place (at the time the warrant was applied -or the change was applied for) the contractor will be upheld.

I would not go against BCO, but if they ask me to do certain things I would require written clarification (including which standard it related to). This keeps your back covered if there are any complications.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back