Tell me how bad they done it so far?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have these people in to do some rendering and they not finished the first layer yet. not been here for a week and no money has changed hands, teh quote was from a friend of a friend who is a builder and he gave the work to someone else. We never knew that was gonna happen. They have left some of the old render around the doors and windows and also left few bits at bottom at damp course level. used stop beading on all corners and now apparently used plastering tools to key it.

Any advice much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20160414_182519.jpg
    IMG_20160414_182519.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 239
Sponsored Links
this is the mesh..fibre glass?

Attachments

• IMG_20160414_222550.jpg
    IMG_20160414_222550.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 215
this is part they left around window

Attachments

• IMG_20160414_222616.jpg
    IMG_20160414_222616.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 193
The third picture didn't get posted. I assume they are taking the render round the corner, and not just stopping on the first wall - in which case, they should have used a corner bead - unless they're going to do that on the top coat. The fibre glass mesh would normally be used on External wall insulation, so exactly what is the job, and is it a standard sand and cement render. If you're paid no money yet, then don't worry too much, but it might be worth calling the friend of a friend first, and get his comments as well.

Are they Polish by any chance, and is the plastering tool a two handed job by any chance.

Sponsored Links
Can't you take pics of the whole job? Your reveals should have had the render taken off and a corner bead fitted not a stop bead its a half hearted job by the pics you have shown so far

The third picture didn't get posted. I assume they are taking the render round the corner, and not just stopping on the first wall - in which case, they should have used a corner bead - unless they're going to do that on the top coat. The fibre glass mesh would normally be used on External wall insulation, so exactly what is the job, and is it a standard sand and cement render. If you're paid no money yet, then don't worry too much, but it might be worth calling the friend of a friend first, and get his comments as well.

Are they Polish by any chance, and is the plastering tool a two handed job by any chance.

They should do around and over the old stuff because it was 'solid'....took 5 seconds to with a screwdriver to take some of this 'solid' stuff off. On other windows where its back to brick this also did it like first picture with stop bead. the guy who gave the quote should be here either over the weekend or Monday, he is a builder who comes highly rated.

The mesh was being pushed into the first layer. Just found a bag of sand that says building sand for brick laying and INTERNAL rendering.

Nope these guys are English,

Can't you take pics of the whole job? Your reveals should have had the render taken off and a corner bead fitted not a stop bead its a half hearted job by the pics you have shown so far

I would put a pic up but the Mrs doesn't want that. Thats what i thought a half hearted job.

They should do around and over the old stuff because it was 'solid'....took 5 seconds to with a screwdriver to take some of this 'solid' stuff off. On other windows where its back to brick this also did it like first picture with stop bead. the guy who gave the quote should be here either over the weekend or Monday, he is a builder who comes highly rated.

The mesh was being pushed into the first layer. Just found a bag of sand that says building sand for brick laying and INTERNAL rendering.

Nope these guys are English,
That sand wasent from wickes was it? I know that they print that on their bags of building sand "brick laying and internal rendering" its horrible stuff I used it once for internal rendering never again, its defo no good for external render whether its wickes or not the grains of sand are round not angular so have no strength and also its not washed it has high silt content, there is a high chance of crazing or cracking with that sand if used for external, that's why they print on the bag indoor render it won't hold up as good , show us a PIC of other windows where it was back to brick

It'll be interesting to see what the friend on a friend has to say, but I'd call it quits with them before they screw up even further. They're using the wrong beading, the wrong sand, and possibly (but not importantly) the wrong tools. Has anyone else out there seen the fibreglass mesh used on a sand and cement render.

And I have no idea why Wickes even recommend their building sand for internal render; cement render needs sharp sand, whether internal or external - hang on, a sudden thought occurred to me; is it that internal render gets covered over with plaster, so doesn't need working to get to a smooth finish.

I have used wide fibre tape on cracks in render. After widening the crack by knocking the render off either side and bedding the tape into the render I have spread on the crack. Then put another coat on it and bedded some more in and when set another coat and float up to a finish. I must say that these were "hair line" cracks and not very wide. If it was a major crack I would hack off the render 12 inches either side of the crack and put stainless mesh bedded into the scratch coat fixed with galvanised clouts, or in extreme cases drill and plug and fix mesh with stainless steel washers and screws..Also it is always better to "dry-pack the crack first if it is wide enough. (Dry-pack) sand lime and cement mixed to a cosistancy so it just holds together when you squeeze it with your hands, it's more or less the same mix as if you were doing stone work...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back