Temperamental Biasi 24S

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum so please be gentle! I'm yet another person having issues with my Biasi 24S combi boiler. Apologies too for the length of my first post!

In all honesty, I can't complain - since its installation in 1999, it's given me virtually trouble free heating and water. Until now, when it seems to have developed a mind of its own...

At first, it seemed I was having a problem with the timer switch as the grey slider had broken off and the heating would switch itself on and off even when the timer switch was in the ‘Off’ (middle) position. The dhw side worked as normal however and provided hot water as and when required.

I got a service manual from the Biasi website and with the help of my father (a time-served electrician of over 40 years), I removed the timer and fitted a push-latch switch using spade terminals into the timer connectors (no wiring has been cut), which meant that effectively there was no timer but the heating could be switched on and off manually as required, purely as a temporsry measure.

The dhw side has worked as normal throughout – the push switch served only to switch the heating on and off. This worked briefly but then one morning after having had the dhw running, the heating switched itself on again, even though the push switch was in the off position.

I also found out that after disconnecting the push switch (meaning no timer/push switch at all) to check whether this was the cause, the heating still worked, regardless of whether the switch was connected or not! I now have to switch the heating off using the summer/winter control knob when I don’t need the heating or hot water. I’ve also noticed that the ch temperature control doesn’t seem to have any effect on the temperature of the ch - it goes to 60 and keeps itself at that temperature.

The boiler has only previously had a new pump and dhw diaphragm as far as repairs go but has only (regrettably) had minimal servicing since installation.

Please help! I've come to the conclusion there may be a short on the pcb but don't want to go through the whole parts list in order to find out the cause of the problem so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The DHW demand switch is jammed on! Probably as a result of a leaking pin gland.

But normally needs an RGI as the gas valve needs to be removed to access it.

The grey slide switch can be obtained as a spare part.

Tony

Cheers Tony - that makes sense actually.

Will the valve need replacing or can it be freed without the need for replacement parts?

If parts are needed, which ones will be required?

Obviously, I'm not even going to go near it myself if it involves touching the gas side of things - just so that I know what it involves should the engineer decide to take advantage of my ignorance.

Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
You only need the gland, possibly a new switch and a mounting clip, max £28.

But the biggest risk is that the RGI will not be able to identtify the fault.

I have told you whats wrong based on what you have told me but the only difinative diagnosis is from in front of the boiler.

Ensure you get a no-fix no-ff because many nupties would start by replacing the PCB because theyr dont know any better!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back