temperature of sea water

Sponsored Links
Its because the fish are closer to the surface and give off body heat which heats the sea water.

i wasnt fishing norcon i was on a surf board and the guy in the surf shop where i rent the board said the water would be warmer, which it was but i wondered why.at other times of the year i thought with warmer overnight temperatures the sea water would be warmer

The sea is huge so it takes ages to warm up and cool down. In November it still has some summer warmth, in spring it's still warming up from the winter. Pretty common fact in diving circles. Much better to dive in autumn than in early spring.

Sponsored Links
Nick is correct. It takes longer to heat seawater, by the effects of the sun, than it takes for the sea to cool down. A bit of research shows that Spring, starts later in some parts of the Northern hemisphere, than it does in others, simply because they are surrounded by the sea (or even sea ice) ;) ;)

The temperature of the North Sea varies from about 6'c in winter to a balmy 17'c in summer, however i have stuck my big toe in the North Sea off the coast of Norfolk and believe you me it's frreeeezzing, the S.W. coast in comparison is warmed by the gulf stream 22'c ish

ill pass on that one calorific.i dont come into gd too often, im grateful for the straight answers but as for snide comments, well if thats how they want to make themselves feel clever thats their choice

pred i never venture in w/o the 5mm suit on, so dont feel it that much. i think a lot to do with that as i improve i just dont think about too much. still cant understand the other surfers w/o gloves or boots but my man in the know offered an opinion on that as well, he said they spend more time out the water than in it as they are up on their boards so much

pred i never venture in w/o the 5mm suit on, so dont feel it that much. i think a lot to do with that as i improve i just dont think about too much. still cant understand the other surfers w/o gloves or boots but my man in the know offered an opinion on that as well, he said they spend more time out the water than in it as they are up on their boards so much

I was a keen diver BSAC 3rd class in a previous life :cry: it was warmer under the water in the winter than when you got out and headed back in the inflatable skimming over the waves, that was when the wind chill hit you. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back