Temperature regulation on Triton shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think this is one for the Electricians as oppose to the plumbers...
I have a Triton Excite electric shower and it's now starting to misbehave.
upload_2021-5-24_12-20-18.png

The temperature dial could be set to a "normal" temperature and it will remain like that for a few minutes and then suddenly get very hot or cold. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have for this.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Did you read this bit of the installation manual ? :-
"c.The stabiliser valve minimises variations in shower temperature during mains water pressure changes. If changes in shower temperature are experienced during normal use, it will most likely be caused by the water pressure falling near to or below the minimum level. The drop in pressure may be due to water being drawn off at other points in the house whilst the shower is in use. If pressure drops appreciably below the minimum, the heating elements will automatically cut out. If ever the water becomes too hot and you cannot obtain cooler water, first check that the sprayplate in the showerhead has not become blocked."

There was no water running elsewhere in the house at the time of the recent issue.

I will try to clean the shower head. Would it help to try with the shower head removed to see if I can replicate the issue?

Sponsored Links
Would it help to try with the shower head removed to see if I can replicate the issue?
Yes, and also if possible try removing the hose at the shower outlet. Could be kinked or collapsed internally.

Last edited:
I tested this with the hose removed at the outlet and still have the same issue. There were no other taps running at the time and I have also verified that the stopcock is fully open.
I'd appreciate any other suggestions that you may have.

Thanks again.

Failing that you’re looking at flow stabilising valve as suggested.

Is it easier and perhaps more economical to replace the shower?
A new 9.5kw Triton shower costs £60. I will need to check but I believe I have a 6mm cable and 45amp breaker on this.

Should just check that the water connection point is compatible if you want this to be a simple job. Possibly also the electrical connection point.

I opened up the existing shower and noticed signs of burning.

Unfortunately, I didn’t check for loose terminals before unscrewing it. I then screwed the cables back into the terminal. I have done another test and it seems okay. The issue is intermittent so it may resurface when used in anger.

Is this a plausible cause?

Also, the shower is 9.5KW and when I tested continuity across these two terminal (circled in yellow), it reported continuity.
531B8FC1-1B16-4D9A-930C-5C28B8372EAB.jpeg

Attachments

• DB7DCE95-CEDA-4952-9FE0-52BF01442763.jpeg
    DB7DCE95-CEDA-4952-9FE0-52BF01442763.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 115
  • B42108DE-F246-4702-A83C-BBB124D043C1.jpeg
    B42108DE-F246-4702-A83C-BBB124D043C1.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 105
  • FDD4522D-4FD9-4CF5-82B8-BB664FADE9CA.jpeg
    FDD4522D-4FD9-4CF5-82B8-BB664FADE9CA.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 3C0832FF-48E6-4D9E-BBE7-662E96A16C31.jpeg
    3C0832FF-48E6-4D9E-BBE7-662E96A16C31.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 122
I was wondering if there was any further advice / suggestions following my post on Friday morning?
Thanks for your support

You tested for continuity across the thermal cut out (tco) which proves it’s ok. Burnt connections are never good, so this could have also been the reason for you having hot water then cold. Have you tested the voltage at the shower?

You tested for continuity across the thermal cut out (tco) which proves it’s ok. Burnt connections are never good, so this could have also been the reason for you having hot water then cold. Have you tested the voltage at the shower?
Yes, 240v. I measured this using the voltage display screen on my Fluke 2 Pole Tester.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back