Temperature shower on handle broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The temperature handle on our shower has broken - looking inside I think the spring has been misplaced - any ideas on how to fix it please? Or do we need a new one?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

James

Attachments

• Handle 1.jpg
    Handle 1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 112
  • Handle 2.jpg
    Handle 2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
It's a bit blurred, has the splined end of the thermostatic valve snapped off in there, i.e. did you have to unscrew that end or did it just fall off in your hand?

If so then it's a new valve or bar shower if it's a cheapy.

Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply, yeah it just came off in my hand...nothing seems broken except for the wire spring inside the handle seems to be in the wrong place. Can I get a replacement for this without having to do any major shower repairs?

Complete newbie here.

Thanks

James

1. The spring is only there to provide pressure for the temperature override button.
2. The handle itself will be held in place with:
2a. A screw hidden by a removable end cover. OR
2b. A grub screw in the side of the handle. OR
2c. An O ring, in which case the handle just pulls off.
3. The centre of the inside should have a female spline showing. If it hasn't, then the cartridge spindle has snapped off inside the handle. Then:
3a. New cartridge time if you can find one and get the remains of the old one out.
3b. New cartridge and new handle time if you can find them and get the remains of the old spindle one out.
3c. New shower time. If it is a bar mixer type shower, check the distance between the centre of the pipes in the wall. Likely to be 150 mm.
4. A less blurry photograph of the inside of the old handle would be helpful in determining whether the spindle has snapped or not.
5. A photograph of the outside of the handle showing the top might help determine how it is meant to be fixed.

Sponsored Links
Hi both

Here's a clearer photo of the handle from inside.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20220109_114030.jpg
    20220109_114030.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 109
1. If there is a hexagonal, probably plastic, piece remaining on the shower cartridge, then it may be that the screw which hold the handle on has simply come undone. Phot id possible.
2. I doubt you'll get that spring as a spare part, unless you know the make and model of the shower and are prepared to buy a complete new handle.
3. See if the little spigot which slides in the slot unscrews from the override button shaft (needle nose pliers job). If it does, you could measure the hole and perhaps get a spring off Ebay or similar. Ideally it would be bronze or stainless steel, but bronze springs are very hard to find, and stainless isn't generally a spring making material.

Here's a picture of it from inside for reference.

Attachments

• 20220109_163842.jpg
    20220109_163842.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 86
Looks to me that the screw has just come loose and is still in there, check for a cap or something that removes from the end you normally have access to when its fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back