Temples of Nothingness

J

JMLanders

I visited Blackpool today.
Walking around while my wife and daughter and her friend were trying out some aquatic themed thingy, I once again reflected on how the UK is a "nation of shopkeepers" (although heaven only knows how they make a crust :confused: ). And yet, hardly any of the things for sale were of any practical use, nor required for our physical survival on this planet.

I've noticed it before - mostly when visiting huge shopping complexes. One that particularly struck me when I visited my friends on Manchester a few years ago was the Trafford Centre. The building is glorious, and would be the envy of any religious sect. And yet, apart from food in M&S, the whole place sells nothing of any worth or necessity. Hence the title of this thread.

Anyone else got any views on the matter?

Sponsored Links
Yes but Blackpool is an exception, its one of three seaside towns that can be lumped together as similar, with Skegness and Great Yarmouth.

All three are a gracefully executed exercises in cramming the most shops in the smallest area, with the sole intent of taking the most money off you in the shortest amount of time for the least value for money.

I prefer Mablethorpe, its practically impossible to spend money there.

Blackpool made me reflect once again on why anyone wants to buy "tat" to the level that it keeps shops open. This isn't limited to small pockets - it is endemic and someone spends small fortunes building huge great complexes (there's another newish one near the BBC in Shepherds Bush London) to house these shops.

Another reason to avoid Skegness with your kids or grandkids is that Lincolnshire Police and Probation Service tend to park pedophiles there just released from jail, the number per head is the highest in the UK.

Sponsored Links
Another reason to avoid Skegness with your kids or grandkids is that Lincolnshire Police and Probation Service tend to park pedophiles there just released from jail, the number per head is the highest in the UK.
I was under the naive impression that there wherabouts was not in the public domain, and hence I'm interested (genuinely - not having a dig here!!) where you got your figures from

I prefer Mablethorpe, its practically impossible to spend money there.

The Mable Thorpe I know you can quite easily blow several hundred quid in one go... ;)

Rubbish. Theres one supermarket, two arcades, half a dozen shops tnat sell crap for next to nothing and one decent cafe. You couldn't spend £100 at Mablethorpe if you lived there all summer.

all that tat is killing us , it gets shipped here from all over the world in huge container ships that burn tons and tons of fuel every hour, this isnt good for the environment at all. and all so we can have luminous plastic jesus's ,disposable plates and fake black Christmas trees..

Rubbish. Theres one supermarket, two arcades, half a dozen shops tnat sell crap for next to nothing and one decent cafe. You couldn't spend £100 at Mablethorpe if you lived there all summer.
I think he's referring to a prostitute called Mabel Thorpe :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

Humour's only funny if one spots it ;) :LOL: :LOL:

all that tat is killing us , it gets shipped here from all over the world in huge container ships that burn tons and tons of fuel every hour, this isnt good for the environment at all. and all so we can have luminous plastic jesus's ,disposable plates and fake black Christmas trees..
Bit of a religious theme here! But I get the gist.

The question is - who buys it????

Lord Landers speaks again...do you live in the real world? Shops sell stuff to tourists? Go back to London with its streets paved in gold.

Sponsored Links
Back