Temporary electrics for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all please excuse the dodgy diagram ive knocked up, art was never my strong point. I need to run some electrics to a outside shed on a temporary basis, i say temporary as my idea is to run a extension lead from my garage to power 3 strip lights and 2 outside lights. Firstly id like to know weather this is safe, i realise its not ideal but until i can get it wired up properly it will get me out of trouble so to speak. And secondary what would be the best way to go about it?

Heres my rather poor diagram of the layout
Shedwiring_zps1a8b2533.png

Sponsored Links
If it's temporary lighting you want then you'll need something like this:

festoon-lighting-from-PALhire.co.uk.jpg

What your'e proposing is not temporary. You're just calling it that is a misguided attemp to convince your self it's not some dangerous lash up.

That's all it is. Either have it done properly or don't do it at all.

What your'e proposing is not temporary. You're just calling it that is a misguided attemp to convince your self it's not some dangerous lash up.

That's all it is. Either have it done properly or don't do it at all.

:rolleyes:

If it's safe, go for it, since you're going to complete it properly later.

And if he doesn't finish it, none of our business is it?

Sponsored Links
It won't ever be completed properly, since once it's up and working, there is absolutely no incentive to remove it and install it all again.

Probably be left 'temporarily' for years.

It won't ever be completed properly, since once it's up and working, there is absolutely no incentive to remove it and install it all again.

Probably be left 'temporarily' for years.

And in the control of his own property, absolutely nothing to do with us at all and may not necessarily be dangerous.

Wow what a nice bunch you lot are, to clarify im not looking for temporary lighting i am looking for a quick way to hook up electric to lighting thats already in place and simply asking if what i was suggesting was safe and maybe some suggestions on how to do it safely.

Admittedly i dont know a lot about electrics, thats why im here for advice yet a couple of you seem so far up your own backside you have to add sarcastic comments with your unhelpfull replys.

Not that its really anyones business but just so you know ive recently moved into the property of which theres many jobs to be done and no the electrics will not be left temporary for years, neither will the outdated electrics within the house. It just would have been nice to get some light in the garden and shed while the works being completed.

@flameport, how you can make a statement like that based on an opening post from a new member is beyond me, well heres my statement about you based on the only post ive seen of yours "YOUR A COCK" if you've nothing helpfull to add then why bother at all?

Well seeing as theres no safe way to hook up the lights temporary then i wont be so please dont lose any sleep over it, my family will be safe.

Wow what a nice bunch you lot are...

Standard forum rules: Take instant dislike to someone doing something for themselves that you would otherwise be paid to do as a form of resentment.

Wow what a nice bunch you lot are, to clarify im not looking for temporary lighting i am looking for a quick way to hook up electric to lighting thats already in place will be safe.
Please understand that the professionals see the results of "temporary" hook ups that did become permanent ( because they worked so why improve ). Some temporary hook ups have led to damage injury and death,

In your shed there are these existing lights and switches or are you fitting these yourself ?

One of the dangers overlooked is the hazard that a fault in the shed or an outside light causes the RCD in the house to trip leaving the house without lights or power. This can result in accidents when the house is suddenly and unexpected plunged into darkness, Even a temporary set up can become faulty and trip the house into darkness. Remember an earth leakage breaker can be tripped by a faulty circuit even if the circuit is not in use. Damp in outside lamps can trip an RCD even when the lamp is switched off.

One of the dangers overlooked is the hazard that a fault in the shed or an outside light causes the RCD in the house to trip leaving the house without lights or power. This can result in accidents when the house is suddenly and unexpected plunged into darkness.

Which can happen from a fault inside the house - so not really a danger that's born only from temporary set ups in an out building.

Which can happen from a fault inside the house - so not really a danger that's born only from temporary set ups in an out building.
I did not say it was exclusive to shed wiring. But in outbuildings ( unheated and possibly damp ) and outside lamps the care to avoid faults developing is not less and often more than the care and knowledge needed in the design and install of wiring inside the house.

Wow what a nice bunch you lot are, to clarify im not looking for temporary lighting i am looking for a quick way to hook up electric to lighting thats already in place will be safe.
Please understand that the professionals see the results of "temporary" hook ups that did become permanent ( because they worked so why improve ). Some temporary hook ups have led to damage injury and death,

In your shed there are these existing lights and switches or are you fitting these yourself ?

One of the dangers overlooked is the hazard that a fault in the shed or an outside light causes the RCD in the house to trip leaving the house without lights or power. This can result in accidents when the house is suddenly and unexpected plunged into darkness, Even a temporary set up can become faulty and trip the house into darkness. Remember an earth leakage breaker can be tripped by a faulty circuit even if the circuit is not in use. Damp in outside lamps can trip an RCD even when the lamp is switched off.
Yes i fully understand the the dangers of bodged jobs although i was asking for advice on weather it would be safe to do this on a TEMPORARY basis and if not would there be anyway of going about it safely. My work is restoring and building motorcycles, mainly classics so i understand the need for things to be done right.
I have installed the lights myself, they are yet to be wired up and thats why im here. Im no sparky but im a hands on person and no idiot so yes i do like to do as much as i can myself but i listen to advise and gauge my limitations.

To be fair the electrical system in this house is very dated and maybe i am pushing my luck with what im proposing but im prepared to be told that, what im not prepared for is pointless replies and sarcastic comments. The consummer unit in the house is ancient, its the type that you have to rewire the fuse if it blows :eek: Further to that the lighting circuit has been wired into 1 fuse instead of seperate fuses for upstairs and downstairs. The spare output created by this has been used to run power to the garage where there is a very basic unit with one output supplying both the lights and sockets so yes i know the whole setup needs ripping out and updating and due to all the work needing to be done on the house aswell as the electrics it would be handy if i could have a bit of light in the shed and garden although if you think this is unsafe then it wont be done simple as that, thats why im here.

Why not just do the job correctly first time?

For all of an extra half day or so, and subject to having a spark happy to co work with you that would be the best way forward, wouldn't it?

There is a diynot wiki section, look under uk electrics in the wiki and that should give you all the information you want and need.

Your original post is vague, because I can't work out what exists in situ, and what is new.

First point is the feed from the house cu. what cable type is this, how is it run, what rating is the fuse?

Normal would be a swa or NYY cable feed to a garage fuse board which is best being a sub main rather than a fuse in the house cu.

That sub main would have fully circuit isolation, rcd and then mcb's or do away with the rcd and mcb's and go with rcbos for each circuit required.

So what circuits do you require? And only you know that! What loads are likely, what machines will need to run, will you need heating in the areas, will you have hot water for hand washing?

Subject to distance and installation method I'd expect 4mm feed from main to be good for 30 amp, 2.5mm feed would be 20 amp. Would you need more than 30 amp (30 x 230v is about 6900 watts).

Unfortunately cynical attitudes are born from years of experience, and please accept that we have all seen temporary that is decades old and dangerous.

Would it be too much to ask that you don't throw insults, wear a bit more body armour and then we can start offering you help with the questions you may wish to raise having read the replies?

[This can result in accidents when the house is suddenly and unexpected plunged into darkness,

We get "accidents" like that quite regularly, living in the country.
I think the power company call them "outages", but they are power cuts to me.

A torch and a hurricane lamp generally overcome the danger. :)

Thanks for the advice chris, there seems to be a lot more variables with this than i first expected so the temporary idea is to be scraped, like you say i may aswell just sort it properly first time it just means other jobs wil have to be put back which is no big deal.

I will detail further what appliances i intend on using in both the garage and the shed and then we can go from there but i suspect due to rules and regs there isnt going to be much of it that i can do myself and i expect most sparkys will prefer to do the whole job rather than finish a job someone else has started.

As for the insults, thats fine ive no problem with that. Maybe others could refrain from posting if they've nothing helpfull to add? Im not new to forums and i certainly wouldnt shoot someone down for needing help in a area that i specialize in, in fact i enjoy putting people on the right track.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back