Temporary Fix to Reduce Further Damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while back my elderly mother turned her toes up leaving me and my sister the unenviable challenge of clearing the house. Little progress has been made mainly due to neither of us living within 400 miles of the place and both having families and jobs of our own.

This evening my sister called to tell me that there is black mould on the ceiling in one corner of the utility room. It wasn't a surprise to me as it happened before, perhaps five years ago. I couldn't find a leak then, painted over it, and the problem went away until now.

The roof is on what used to be the pantry/outside toilet/coal shed. It's not a house I've ever lived in but from memory, about twenty years ago the internal walls were knocked down and the space converted into a utility room and downstairs toilet. I think the space between the joists was filled with Kingspan then overboarded with plasterboard. The external roof wasn't touched. It is the original 1937 corrugated sheeting and almost certainly asbestos cement. It is also entirely covered in a thick layer of moss. Where I scraped it clear previously, the surface was sound with little erosion, wasn't flaking or cracked.

In the ideal world, I'd have the roof stripped and replaced. But that's not going to happen in the next six months.

So ....

Can anything be done to minimise any further damage, or even seal it from the outside? It's approx 3m x 2.5m and I don't intent to stand on it as I don't want to risk cracking a sheet. I'll be at the house for the last week of August, and the next chance I'll have to visit won't be before mid October. Any suggestions welcome!

Sponsored Links
I think you're both probably right.

I've now worked out that room hasn't been entered in over a year. That's a long time with little air flow and a toilet pan slowly evaporating away. The house was left unheated, the room is single skin brick and on the north side. It will have been the coldest room in the house in any event.

My mind stepped through various crazy bodge repairs, but as @johnny2007 says, drilling in some hooks and securing a tarp is by far the easiest solution. ‍♂️

Sponsored Links
Just been sent a couple of photos of the ceiling ...

signal-2023-08-20-10-04-55-892.jpg

signal-2023-08-20-10-04-07-080.jpg

All surfaces feel dry though cool to the touch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back