Temporary Heating Solution...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of buying a run down house, which to be honest will mainly be knocked down in about 9 months. However as funds are restricted we are going to have to live in it whilst we go through the planning process.

To this end there are various things that we need to do in order to make it habitable and as we move into the Winter heating is one of them. There is currently a very old floor standing boiler and I wouldn't trust it with a barge pole. So we have 2 options. Have a new (or nearly new) boiler fitted. It's heat only as there is a hot water tank. Or we survive with electric radiators for 6 months. I did a rough calculation on the electric radiators (5 needed) and worked out that they would cost me about £1900 to buy and run for 25 weeks.

I obviously need to get a gas fitter to quote on fitting a boiler but had a couple of questions first.

The Gas pipe at the boiler is only 15mm. It is 22mm at the meter and I am not sure where the size drops down as it is in the roof somewhere. Can we instead run a new 22mm gas pipe down the outside of the house and into the kitchen that way.

Are there any restrictions with vent height that we need to be aware of - its a bungalow and at present and the existing vents through the roof - I would move the boiler slightly and vent through the wall instead as I think this would be easier!

Sponsored Links
start with insulation and draughtproofing. It will make a vast difference to cost and comfort.

At that price I would not try to heat the whole house unless I had money to burn. Bedroom and kitchen, if there is room to sit there to eat, as a minimum. If you are doing lots of stripping out and renovation consider a multifuel or woodburner as you may have plenty of scrap.

I don't know what price you expect to pay for your electric heaters, but remember that expensive ones and cheap ones give out exactly the same amount of heat per unit of electricity. If long term you are going for gas CH there is no point in buying expensive.

Thanks JohnD. Bungalow is double glazed and has good loft insulation. The heaters are £40 each but we need 4 really - its not the heater cost its the electricity cost of running them. 4 2kw heaters on for 6 hours a day average! The lounge does have an open fire which we will have swept and checked but we have 2 children so my wife is telling me we need to ensure the heating is at least reasonable!

Trust me I don't want to spend anything more than I have to at present.

Sponsored Links
Why not get a static caravan for the duration and then sell it at the end?

with thermostats in the heaters, they will not be running at full power for much of the time. You can calculate an estimated heat loss for your home, it will probably be less than 10kW when 20C inside and 0C outside; which means it will be about 5kW when the outside temp is 10C. Depending where you are, this is quite a common daytime temp even in winter.

The heating system does however need to be sized to cope with even the coldest winter night. If your radiators are somewhat oversized they can tick along at a modest temperature which IMO makes the room more comfortable.

here's a calculator
http://calculators.baxiknowhow.co.uk/boiler-sizing/

Thanks for that link it states 7.9 kw so 4x2kw heaters as thought...yes realise they wouldn't be running full pelt for the whole 6 hours but it is difficult to average. I think the main thing is to get the quote for the boiler fitting and then work out what is the most cost effective solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back