Temporary tap fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i'm looking for a practical way to keep this tap going. It was dripping but improved if every so often i gave it a good shove closed. However, i did this recently and the tap snapped off. It is really old and in a really old kitchen. We're in the process of planning for a new one, so I don't really want to have to mess around with it too much until then. It still functions and we had been using pliers to turn it on, but now I have some grips which are cable-tied closed and act as a lever. Does anyone have any more ideas of what might serve as a temporary 'handle' on the tap which is a little less precarious than my current method? I was thinking of something smaller which may be able to be gripped around or there is actually some thread left inside so could screw something down to act as the handle?

Cheers!

Attachments

• Tap.jpg
    Tap.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 82
Sponsored Links
for the first link, that's only the internals where you would use the existing handles as they are 1/4 turn.

The second link is the internals with the handles (so a complete fix with new handles) A problem i have had with these is the clearance between the bottom of the handle and the tap base.

personally id go with the first link. and use your existing 1/4 turn handles providing the splines inside them arent buggered

*also make sure you get the correct thread size as theres couple dependign on the tap use, bath,basin etc.

Sponsored Links
Ah I think I see now, yeah I think the splines are ok.
How do I identify correct thread size? They are kitchen taps
I'm imagining they're going to be a pain to remove, we think they have been in 30+ years and there is a lot of limescale etc. built up. any tips on help with loosening them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back