Tennis Elbow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am 100% sure I am not alone in suffering with this.

Been to the doctors and he said yes you have it and will take 2-3 months to heal. He said his colleague gives out the injections straight away but he feels putting more pain where there already is pain doesn't seem right. I asked for a referral to his colleague.

Been spreading for the best part of 12 years and not had anything like this previous. Had a heavy two weeks on a barn conversion recently floating with lime and sand and skimming some awkward vaulted ceilings. That brought it on. I've had harder work in the past though. I use plastic and have done now for a while (thanks stevethespreader)

Anyone had the injection? Did it work or not? I heard for some it does and others not. The guy I am working with now had it seven years ago and not a problem since.

Not sure how bad others have it but plastering at the moment is impossible. Have tried and far too painful, even skimming.

Have the forearm splint on. Doing a bit but not much. Have got the Voltarol cream to rub in, as prescribed - does **** all. Put a quarter of the tube on yesterday and my elbow is still screaming at me that I am a ****.

Anyone tried reflexology or acupunture?

Just got some supplements to see if that makes any difference.

Any thoughts/ help much appreciated. Cheers all

Sponsored Links
I had it the pain was mostly in the neck at the top of the shoulder and in the tendon running down my arm into my middle finger.

The only thing that relieved mine was rest, anti-inflammatorys and standing under a warm shower.

I was never offered the injection, I think it really just works as a pain killer trouble is if you can't feel pain you may tend to over do things and delay healing.

Dodge I had 2 tennis elbows at the same time they offered me injection but I turned it down ,reason being they say that if you have the injection the tennis elbow is more prone to come back , also I think that if you have the injection it allows you to go to work quicker because of the pain relief, "buuut" you are using ur arm before it has been given the chance to get better so your not really resting it, its best to wait and let it heal on its own

My wife has had 2 operations for tennis elbow, one on each arm. The first in 1981, the second, 5 years after in 1986. She had limited Cortisone injections which helped for a while but the pain kept coming back. They also tried wrapping the arm in plaster to restrict the use of it . As a last resort, she was offered the operation which cured the pain permanently over the weeks. It has never bothered her since.

Sponsored Links
Tendonitis i think is the medical term.

We spoke about this a while back and like steve had it in both arms, could hardly lift a cup of tea.

Was advised against the cortoson injections because it can exasperate the condition.
I had it for 2 years till i stopped doing the heavy work and it improved.

I think the only real remedy is rest.

Yes rest is best policy I was out of action for 6 months I remember how I first got it ,it seems like its the hard or awkward jobs that give it to you "in my experience anyway"

I've had the injection, it eases the pain in the short term but does not shorten the healing process. The injection is not neat cortisone, which hurts, but is mixed with a local anaesthetic and not too bad.

You are not supposed to have the steroid injection more than once, I understand it softens and weakens the tendon.

It really is absolutely essential that you rest it until healed. Being off work for six months is bad, but having a crippled arm for the rest of your life might be worse.

well ive learnt from other people, i am only 25 i am taking suppliments for joints and bones etc from holland and barret, time will tell if they work. things like vitimin d, cod liver oil and magnesium and zinc. i havent had problems yet but its only been 4 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back